Prolonged labor, stillborn kitten, cannibalistic activity... Please help

daysierose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat gave birth to a limp kitten at 3pm yesterday and began eating it. (I let her eat the afterbirth but took the dead kitten away.) She's still pregnant with at least two more but labor appears to have ended. She is napping, eating, affectionate and acting completely normal. I don't know if the kitten was born dead or she killed it. Is it normal for her to have one, then wait so long for the rest? And should I be concerned that she will eat the others when they're born?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
My cat gave birth to a limp kitten at 3pm yesterday and began eating it. (I let her eat the afterbirth but took the dead kitten away.) She's still pregnant with at least two more but labor appears to have ended. She is napping, eating, affectionate and acting completely normal. I don't know if the kitten was born dead or she killed it. Is it normal for her to have one, then wait so long for the rest? And should I be concerned that she will eat the others when they're born?
Yes, pauses arent unusual!   As she is ok etc, its just to wait.  Observe closely of course, as its touchy, but its normal, so to speak.  Dont worry too much.

The most probable is momma ate the afterbirth as they usually do, and happened to eat on the kitten, as it was still.

BUT in nature its common they DO eat dead kittens, not to risk to attach predators nor ants to the nest.   If they cant carry away it safely, they eat the dead corpse.   So its very seldom they eat an alive kitten - unless in extreme stress - THIS happens.

But an unstressed mom - rarely.

Still, watch out if you are anxious for it.   And if so, prepare to handraise them yourself, at least till the maternal instincts kick in.

Please continue to report!

Good luck!

Last edited: