Progress and mystery cats??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dunnyboy69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
All's well - the girls have now been eating out of their newly-positioned boxes for the past 3 days. Thanks for all the best wishes.
The change to the norm seems to have set Little Cow back a bit, as she's not been seen much since the boxes moved - just the odd glimpse here and there, but she'll adapt over the coming weeks. Ruby, on the other hand, appears to be thriving - all the family have now had the experience of her sitting about 10-15 feet away while food is being prepared, meowing her little heart out. Indeed, she did it to me yesterday when I popped outside at a non-food time....she came out of one of the boltholes in the barn and started meowing like crazy at me. Bizarrely, she hadn't really touched her food at this point - I think she just wanted to chat!! That said, I put a few treats down for her and they were wolfed a few minutes later once she'd had a good groom. There's a little bit of me is concerned her meowing might be a sign of something more sinister like an illness, so I'll keep an eye out on her. Before too long, I plan to take them both to the vets for proper flea and worm treatment (apparently the over-the-counter sachets aren't particularly effective but are 'better than nothing', in the words of my local vet), and the first lot of vaccinations. This is assuming, of course, that they can be caught!! Still, my local vet has loads of feral experience so that's really encouraging.
best to all

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Such great news! I'm sorry LC is taking her time to adjust, but Ruby sounds like a right pip!

I don't know about over-the-counter meds over there... over here they actually can be much worse than doing nothing. The de-worming meds cause the cats to expel live worms, so since the risk of reinfestation is so high, it's really just a waste of money. But the flea treatments have actually killed a number of cats. These are toxins and poisons - and the ones at the vet cost more because they were developed using protocols and clinical trials.

If you're going to do something that's OTC, please look into buying FOOD GRADE diatomaceous earth (referred to as Food Grade DE).
I don't know where in the UK to locate it, but I'm providing a link so you can learn about it: http://www.wolfcreekranch.net/diatomaceous_earth.html

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

dunnyboy69

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
thanks for the info, LDG.
They have had one lot of flea powder (just before Christmas) and one lot of worm medicine (just after), but what you've said - plus reading a few other reviews online - has made it clear to me that I need to sort another solution. I'll have a good explore of DE product availability in Blighty, but I'm thinking that a good trip to the vets is the best cure.
Oh what fun I'm going to have catching these two.....still, it may also help out with the 'is Ruby really Ruby?' question!

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The food grade DE might not be a bad idea.
I do know it's available there - I just don't remember which of our UK members it was that told us where they got it. It is important that it be food grade, though.