Procox for Coccidiosis

mariabrito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm new to this forum, but I've been reading all threads related to coccidia + giardia + diarrhea in kittens.

I've recently adopted two kittens - a boy and a girl, siblings - and since they got here, they've always had diarrhea. They've been through deworming (and the female kitten actually expelled a worm), but now they're on antibiotics (I don't know the name, but I can ask the vet) and Procox for coccidiosis, because two days ago the sister started having yellow/gold diarrhea and "acidents" where she doesn't even notice that some stool is getting out - obvious symptoms of coccidiosis from what I've gathered from my search.

I don't know if you know this Procox medicine they're taking, but if you do I'd be so grateful if you could tell me when the feces should start getting harder. The kittens are full of energy and they haven't lost their appetite, but I'm afraid things get more complicated if nothing changes. Sorry, I'm just a but desperate, since we've tried so much already.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Hmmm, everything I can find on Procox says it's for dogs.  Are you outside the U.S.? 

Anyway, perhaps you could ask your Vet if you don't get any response here. 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mariabrito

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes, I don't leave in the US. I live in Portugal. From the research I've done, all I can find is that Ponazuril & Albon aren't sold in Europe, but Procox is similar to Ponazuril, I think. It was designed for dogs, but it can also be prescripted to cats. Yesterday, the female cat made a solid-ish (iiiiish) stool, but today morning it was back to the liquid form. Monday they'll make feces tests and then I'll know for sure what they have.

Anyway, thanks for your answer! Do you know how long kittens (they are 2 and 1/2 months) can live with these kind of parasites before getting dehydrated? I do hope that after I've the results and they do another treatment, they'll get better, but I've been warned by the vet that it can be a difficult process, so I just want to know.

mrsgreenjeens

Every Life Should Have Nine Cats
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise