Problems with Sweat Scoop?

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Ok, so after about 6 months of having Storm inside the house with us I can't get this darn litter to work for me! I'm so sick of scraping stuck litter off the bottom of the pan. I've tried keeping the litter shallow (2" deep), medium (3-4" deep), and really deep (5" +) and all the urine drains through to the bottom. I hardly ever have a clump that stays near the top/ is suspended in the litter. Is this too much for a girl to ask for? Is it just because the SS doesn't want to clump as tightly as other litters? I would like to stay away from any thing with perfumes, deodorizers, ect... Are there any other suggestions for what may work?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try World's Best Cat Litter. It's all-natural, clumps well, controls odors, and is biodegradable and flushable. USe about 4" or so in the litter box and you'll be good to go! Check on their website for a coupon before heading out to shop, too.

tdonline

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I use Swheat Scoop and yes, the urine invariably reaches the bottom. I don't consider this an issue though so I'm happy with SS.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Try World's Best Cat Litter. It's all-natural, clumps well, controls odors, and is biodegradable and flushable. USe about 4" or so in the litter box and you'll be good to go! Check on their website for a coupon before heading out to shop, too.
I too tried SS and switched to WBCL, it clumps so much better and I dont find that the clumps become a sticky mess stuck to the box like SS

clucas976

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I honestly don't use any form of clumping litter.

We had to stay away from Clay initially due to owning a ferret. the clay dust is bad for their little respiratory systems.

So I've had my ins and outs and what I've finally settled on is yesterdays news.

i've used everything from fresh step (very very first litter, we couldn't stand it) to arm and hammer corn cob litter. I hated feline pine, Mimi Litter upset my FLUTD cat (I think the particles were too small and caused irritation)Corn cob litter was gross and messy, and the inbetweens just didn't cut it.

We settled on yesterdays news, no clumping, no nasties in the bottom of the box, just scoop the poop, and clean it out weekly, good to go. its also readily accessable at our local grocery store, so I don't have to make a special trip to the country maxx to buy it constantly (which is a good 30-40 minute drive)

The only other litter I liked was this Amazing Pearls litter (something along those lines)

It looks like little tiny glue beads, it absorbs the urine, eats odor insanely well, and one bag lasts one cat 2 months. The little beads turn yellow, and you change out and add more when they get yellow (it does really last 2 months if done right, don't dump the whole bag in)

I'm not sure how completely partial you are to clumping litter, but this stuff absorbs it, and with proper maintanance, I saw no ill effects, it worked well, and lasted the 2 months it claimed to.

so I figured unless your dead set on clumping, my 2 cents might help a little.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the help guys. CLucas, I'm not dead set on clumping as much as I am something that is non-toxic and 'environmentally friendly'. Storm is a polydactyl cat so litter gets stuck in her toes more than a 'normal' toed cat and I don't want her ingesting any nasty stuff, especially 'traditional' clay litter. I've tried yesterday's news and wasn't a huge fan, neither one of us really liked it.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I also recommend World's Best. I've tried them all including Swheat Scoop which I found dusty. With 2 cats and 2 litter boxes in a small 2 bedroom apartment, the WBCL multi-cat formula is fantastic for keeping down odors and clumping. I only wholly change it out about 4-6 weeks and in the interim I add a couple of cups of fresh litter every week. I scoop at least once per day and if they go and it smells, I scoop at that time as well. I have to say that neither of them have terribly stinky litter but then I also feed them reallly good food which also makes a difference.

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by tdonline

I use Swheat Scoop and yes, the urine invariably reaches the bottom. I don't consider this an issue though so I'm happy with SS.
Me too! I wanted something that wasn't clay and that wasn't fragrant. I know exactly where Neko does her #1 so i pile the litter up in this area. Even though it sticks to the bottom, it still comes up with the scooper and clumps up better than the million little pieces i got from using tidy cat litter.

Does corn litter do the same thing?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

railntrailcwgrl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

I also recommend World's Best. I've tried them all including Swheat Scoop which I found dusty. With 2 cats and 2 litter boxes in a small 2 bedroom apartment, the WBCL multi-cat formula is fantastic for keeping down odors and clumping. I only wholly change it out about 4-6 weeks and in the interim I add a couple of cups of fresh litter every week. I scoop at least once per day and if they go and it smells, I scoop at that time as well. I have to say that neither of them have terribly stinky litter but then I also feed them reallly good food which also makes a difference.
Thanks, I might have to pick up a bag of WBCL next time I go to the country store. Her box really isn't that stinky per say, she gets TOTW dry and Wellness, Eagle Pack, and Innova (all GF wet) for her dinner in the evenings. It's just the 1000lb pee that sinks to the bottom that's driving me crazy lol. SS gets so sticky too when it's stuck to the side or bottom. Do you find you use any more or less of the WBCL compared to the SS? It seems to me that it might come in a smaller bag than SS is why I ask.

silva_unt

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know this an old post but just wanted to share: Still using Sweat scoop and yes, was dealing with the pee clumps sticking to the bottom until... I started using Arm&Hammer cat litter deoderizer. The clumps dont stick to the bottom anymore!! Thought that was cool

nutrolori

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I use Feline Pine. After getting sick of clay litter sticking to my Chester's toes I found the Feline Pine works much better!

kkh

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Was using SS until I had the bug problems... Been using Feline Pine(original) ever since. I'll keep using FP during summer month but switch back to SS when weather gets milder, though.

addiebee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Just be careful with baking soda. It can also cause problems with cats.

http://www.petplace.com/cats/dangero...cat/page1.aspx

Scroll down to the graph on baking soda. I had read somewhere that breathing it in when it's kicked up in the pan can get it into the blood stream and cause issues. So I only put baking soda in the garbage pail to help with odors there.