Problems with setting feeding stations

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can only do the best you can.  Are the neighborhood dogs running free?  If they are with owners, I would place a sign stating feral cat feeding station please keep your dogs away.  If the dogs are running loose there is very little you can do. 

I thought a rescue group was going to help you move the cats to a better location?  What happened to this plan?

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
that plan seems to be on hold for some reason. right now I am feeding.in a wooded area near a pathway where dogs are allowed to roam free (untill some one catches them on camera.the dogs are eating the cat food and getting sick

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
"the dogs are eating the cat food and getting sick"

That sounds scary. Getting sick as in over-eating? It sounds as if someone is putting poison or something in the food.

I would be extremely concerned if the dogs are getting sick eating the food.

Do you know anyone that is into gardening? They may have a cheap time lapse camera. Preferably a cheap one because it may get stolen. Maybe you could hide a cheap time lapse camera in a tree or something near food and see what is going on after you leave.

Last edited:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
If you need it, I have a time lapse camera I used to get photos of my cats when they were living outside. It is nothing great, it is meant for taking time lapse photos of gardening. It does not work in low light, the photos come out black in low light. It takes OK photos from a distance, good enough that you would be able to see if a person is screwing with the food.

Of course I wouldn't recommend you give a stranger on the Internet your home address but maybe you have a friend or someone I could courier it to their place of work. Or maybe you could arrange for me to courier it to a local humane society or something.

I am done with it, don't plan on using it again and would not want it back. I would cover the cost of the courier as well. I am in Canada and if you are in the US you may get stuck with a small brokerage fee, not sure I haven't couriered something to / from US in a long time.

If you want it reply to this thread with a name and address to courier it to.

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
how do I  go about keeping the water at the feeding  station          clean and purified?

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
moved feeding station to  what thought was a safe public  wooded area. a man  (with his dog off leash ) walks his dog thru the area. he does not want me to feed the cats in the area at all. he has been dumping the cat food out and water and throwing them into poison ivy bushes.. Ihave been feeding them at sunup (6AM )  to avoid being seen. he comes later in the mornig to deliparatly destroy feeding area. how could I  (bolt, nail food dishes to ground or tree)?how would I get rid of poison ivy?

Last edited by a moderator:

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
If you alter the trees or plants in a public space you are likely to end up getting fined. I am not sure about where you live but where I live you would most definitely get a fine for screwing around with trees on municipal property. I am sure they would also give out a fine if killing plants (poison ivy bushes) on municipal property. You should consult your city / town / county before you proceed because I would guess the dog walker wouldn't hesitate to call them on you.

Is there property backed onto the wooded area that would have a tall wood fence. The fence would need to be a sturdy fence. Possibly you could talk to the owner of the fence, if one exists, and get permission to put wall mount cat feeding station on the wooden fence. Put a couple of smaller platforms lower on the fence so the cats could jump up them to a platform high up on the fence that would have the food and water on it.

An even better option would be to check with people that have property around the wooded area. Maybe one of them would allow you to put the feeding station(s) at the back of their property. Or maybe you could find a few people that would allow it and have them on multiple properties. This way it would be on private property and the dog walker would get into trouble for going on it to tamper with the cat food.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Would you get fined for removing poison ivy?  It's considered a noxious weed in many places.

I guess you could get into trouble if you used poison but there are organic ways to deal with it... this will kill other plants as well, though.

But as Shane Kent says, you would need to make sure you wouldn't get into trouble, and perhaps the other options may be better.

Shane Kent

Crazy Cat Gentleman
Top Cat
Purraise
In the City of Ottawa, where I live, you report poison ivy on city property so the city can deal with it. I don't think you are allowed to deal with it yourself when it is on city property. I don't imagine they would actually fine you, probably just get a warning. I should have said could get a fine and not would get a fine. If killing the poison ivy and nailing into trees I am sure you would get a stern warning if not a fine. I would guess if you told them you were looking after stray / feral cats they would just give you a stern warning but I would hate for Lisa1950 to find out the hard way and get a fine.

Last edited:

yummy520

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some people don't like cats at all. Others see feeding ferals as asking for trouble, ie more and more cats overtaking the area. This is a difficult situation. Can you place the food away from this area, and away from the angry dog walker? Set up somewhere farther away. The cats roam. They WILL find the food. Especially if you move it farther away each day. I hope this will help.

jennabengal

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe put the food in paper dishes? I know where l live it's illegal to feed feral stray cats. All cats are required to be indoors only. My neighbor received an 800$ fine for letting his cat outside.:rbheart:

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
untill recently I was unknowing still feeding on Elks Lodge property.A women that lives behind the Elks Lodge property explained and showed me where the property lines were. moves the feeding station to a small  piece of property that belongs to City/County.It  is sparsely covered with any kind od shrubbery.dug holes to put food bowls in to hide dishes.putting leave around bowls but are st ill visible.does anyone have any suggests?

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
The only thing I can think of is to gather some branches and scatter them around or use them to build a little igloo.

I thought that you were getting some help from a rescue group to get the ferals relocated? 

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
       rEPLYING cORRECTLY? . the relocating is  on hold for now. am pretty much' flying solo' with this finding a way to hide food bowls.. the food bowls were stolen within the last 24 hours.but water dishes were left behind. will put  up camara today again. will keep you posted.

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The battle with the two business and feeding station continues..finally found a neighbor  near by the  feeding area that knows what property belongs to whom. am using City owned property and this person 

is still stealing my bowls daily and my camera again. contacted Pethelpers organization. they made a flyer for me to post on the property that warns anyone stealing food bowls from this property will be facing a judge. one other area where I am feeding is on a path between two  separate properties.the food bowls and shelter disappeared today. worried that if I ONLY GIVE THEM 30MIN.,SOME CATS WILL GO HUNGRY. if I DO NOT pick up food bowls the same day, they will be stolen daily.

ondine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
This problem seems to be so pervasive.  Is there any way PetHelpers can help you trap and move the cats to a barn or other location where they'd be welcomed?

Maybe you can add another sign that points out the free rodent control the dish stealers are getting with these kitties!

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
have a  long pathway to cover with cat treats. is there a alternate I  can use that is more affordable? 

bowls and notices were removed from City property that the cats are protected by a  City ordance..

lisa1950

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
does anyone have any suggestions for  substitution for cat treats?

allyson24

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Sometimes I use single pieces of their regular kibble as a treat. Not sure if that would work on a stray tho