Problems with paying guests!

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I do hope you have a written contract for future guests as to what/where they can or cannot go. And you need to make it clear on access to any of the ponies. You are right - they had NO business in the pony field without permission.

That's just plain rude. I hope these "guests" do not try and sue you for any injuries to their child! Plus I agree, give them a bill for damages. And make it clear in a contract that the guests are responsible for any damages to the house, property, or the contents in the house!

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Yosemite

Jenny, I'm sorry to hear this. I wouldn't spoil your friend's wedding by saying something now, but after she is back from her honeymoon and settled in, I would definitely let her know what happened.

I think you just got the wrong people for your first guests. There will be others that will more than make up for these folks. They are just rude and cheap and I doubt if they would even consider anything you could say to them at this point.

I agree with the other poster that in future you'll need to make sure you have rules about guests staying away from the animals (or have a sign posted to protect you from liability) unless you are with them.

Cheer up sweetie - all is going to be just fine once you are up and running. Just consider this one of those bumps in the road. Hugs!
What a total bummer, Jenny! I agree 1000% with what Linda has said.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
They have all gone now, thank goodness. They claim the switch on the coffee machine didn't work when they arrived, but they made coffee in it the first day without problems, and it always worked for me. And now the switch is hanging off the side. After they had gone I discovered that a clock radio had been knocked off the bedside table and the case is cracked. And a curtain on the landing has been half pulled off its hooks - a small thing but careless. Yesterday they showed me some pix of the little girl on a pony, being led, and claimed she could ride. Then asked if they could give the ponies some leftover bread! I had to explain very gently why bread was very bad for them. But I don't want to upset my friend, so I am just going to write it off to experience. It is a good learning curve for me, and yes, I am going to put notices up on all this and other stuff, but I don't want it to become some kind of police state. It is essential for their own safety and my protection though.

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
With the way some people are "sue" happy, its worth having a contract and enforce it - for YOUR safety/sanity. And have a lawyer review the contract to be sure things can be enforced and you are not liable for certain things.

carolpetunia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jennyranson

I am going to put notices up on all this and other stuff, but I don't want it to become some kind of police state.
You're exactly right -- and it's all in the wording and the visual presentation. Communicating these things in a graceful manner not only keeps people from feeling put off, but also makes them more willing to accept the information.

I say this as a writer with long, long, looonnnnnng experience in trying to persuade.

gailc

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is there some type of local/regional association for people such as yourself that will be renting out part of your house?? What type of "service" do you plan on having?

Hear in the US we have lots of "bed and breakfast establishments. Basically you have a bedroom/bathroom in a private home. The homeowner will provide a breakfast ranging from cold foods to a really nice meal. They have have on hand information on local area attractions. There might be a common room area to be shared by all guests. There might also be an outside area to enjoy.

I would come up with a set of guidelines of what can and cannot be done on your property and what services you will provide.

It seems like these "clients/customers" took advantage of your home! I wouldn't like these type of people to come to my home. I hope this incident doesn't discourage you for future paying guests.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

jennyr

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This was all a bit special - what I hope to provide is a 'gite' or self-catering holiday cottage, with bedding and kitchen equipment provided, but people will 'do' for themselves. But this time, because they were wedding guests of my friend and I am not really open yet, it was more informal and I gave them breakfast foods etc. As an ex-journalist and someone who at one stage ran internal communication for an organisation of over 5000 people, I know what is and is not effective - so I will try and think of some gentle and humorous ways to make my points.

gemlady

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I wouldn't be surprised if those "guests" act like that whereever they go.