Problems with Friskies?

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I saw that they have new labels on some of their canned food. And there's a new line called Extra Gravy Chunky. Their website doesn't show the new labels yet.

Last edited:

Kim8

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
A little over a week ago, all of my cats got really sick from some Friskies. All 8 cats got sick and were sick for about a week. The Friskies people said they haven't had any other reports like that, so I don't know how I got the bad can or cans. Maybe one of the cans had a bad seal and bacteria got in. I tend to mix all the food together in a mixing bowl and then dish it out into the cats' bowls, so I could have contaminated the whole big bowl with one can. Anyway, it's finally getting out of their systems. I took one to the vet and he was nice enough to send me home with enough antibiotics for all of them. He never did figure which kind of bacteria it was, because he didn't get a stool sample. Just prescribed a broad spectrum antibiotic which he said should kill anything. Anyway, since they are finally eating again and I don't want to go back to Friskies. I've been giving them a variety of other things, but I should settle on something. It's expensive to feed that many cats, especially since I don't do dry food because of urinary problems. I was wondering:

Has anyone else had problems with Friskies lately? The flavor was Mixed Grill in the big can.

What are some ideas for the healthiest food possible without buying the most expensive stuff?

I've started cooking for them some, but I'm afraid of trying the raw diet because of bacteria. I can't go through another week like the last one.The cats were so sick it was scary. Vomiting, anorexia, diarrhea, lethargy.
It's interesting you say that. My cat will no longer eat any of the Friskies canned food. I figured it is because they changed the formula somehow and included more liver in flavors that hadn't had it before. Molly will absolutely not eat anything with liver. Perhaps there is more to it than that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Vega's Dad

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I guess I have to store as much old labels as possible and switch to something else when it's no longer available...

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
"The rules of pet food manufacturing state that a company can change the ingredients in a pet food at any time yet they are not required to show the changes on the label for six months." Pet Food Recipe Changes and Challenges

Sometimes the company's website will show a change of ingredients before they use up all their old labels (but they aren't required to do so).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I get the 24 can variety pack. All of the mixed grill flavor cans have beef dented with the seal compromised in the last two cases I purchased. I emailed Friskies tonight and sent them the manufactures code as well as the UP Code. They IMMEDIATELY emailed me back and are sending me a refund and coupons. I did not feed the food to my cats. I threw them away.View attachment 182939
Interesting! Maybe that was the problem with mine, but the damage wasn't all that noticeable. They still might have had a bad seal. Thankfully, all my cats survived it, but they were really sick. I wonder if they track complaints, because that makes both you and I who have called to complain about Mixed Grill. Maybe they will take a look at their equipment and see if something is wrong. They didn't give me a refund, but they sent me coupons. I ended up using the coupons to buy Fancy Feast because I have one cat that needs meds morning and night and I hide his meds in Fancy Feast. I still haven't gone back to the Friskies, though. I have switched to Tractor Supply Company's 4 Health in cans. Same price as Friskies and it's better. My cats don't need to eat as much of it to feel satisfied.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

gaylemg

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"The rules of pet food manufacturing state that a company can change the ingredients in a pet food at any time yet they are not required to show the changes on the label for six months." Pet Food Recipe Changes and Challenges

Sometimes the company's website will show a change of ingredients before they use up all their old labels (but they aren't required to do so).
That sucks because some animals have sensitivities or allergies to certain ingredients.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I emailed and asked them why they haven't updated their website yet with the new labels and ingredients. They didn't answer my question, they just sent me some coupons. They were some really great coupons, but still, I would like to see the website updated so I can know what to expect.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Interesting! Maybe that was the problem with mine, but the damage wasn't all that noticeable. They still might have had a bad seal. Thankfully, all my cats survived it, but they were really sick. I wonder if they track complaints, because that makes both you and I who have called to complain about Mixed Grill. Maybe they will take a look at their equipment and see if something is wrong. They didn't give me a refund, but they sent me coupons. I ended up using the coupons to buy Fancy Feast because I have one cat that needs meds morning and night and I hide his meds in Fancy Feast. I still haven't gone back to the Friskies, though. I have switched to Tractor Supply Company's 4 Health in cans. Same price as Friskies and it's better. My cats don't need to eat as much of it to feel satisfied.
Friskies' parent company could give a flyin'-you-know-what if you complain, but if the FDA calls them or sends them a letter about your complaint, then someone at Friskies' will be in touch with you quickly...with profuse denial of wrong-doing, but lots of coupons.

Complain to the FDA here: How to Report a Pet Food Complaint

If others have the same complaints, it could lead to a publicized recall. You might save a cat, or a thousand.

wasabii

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I've actually been having issues out of the new labeled Friskies canned food. I bought a poultry variety pack that seemed like it would have the old labels but inside were the new ones. :\
With these new labels I've had my cats less enthusiastic to eat, as well as stomach upsets including vomiting and diarrhea. I emailed them and they claim up and down there is no difference in the ingredients and are sending me coupons...but how can there be no change if my cats will eat the very same flavors with the old label and have no stomach problems yet with the new label, the problems occur? I don't know, it seems they are not being straight forward and honest. Not actually sure what to do now.
Switch to fancy feast/sheba and double my cost to feed two cats? Those are about my only options that I can afford besides Friskies. They only like one flavor of the 4health and I have no trader joes so affordable cans around me are limited.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I know, they told me that too, that none of the ingredients have changed, just some are being re-named. But that is clearly not true, because Extra Gravy Chunky In Savory Gravy is supposed to be replacing SauceSations In Garden Sauce. But if you look at the ingredients, they are completely different, the SauceSations had vegetables in it, the Extra Gravy Chunky does not. I haven't compared the new pate to the old label yet...

mosimom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Can you please post the code on the bottom of the can?
You can pin point the batches from the code to the exact day and time made.

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So when cans have dents close to the seams, couldn't you just stick the can underwater and see if it bubbles? That's what I've done. I figure if the can doesn't bubble, then it's still sealed.

My cats eat Friskies canned food and they usually have loose stools once a year. I'll look online to see if anyone else is having the same problem. I usually find posts where others are complaining about the same thing within the same time frame. I looked on Amazon recently at some of the 5.5oz cans and people were complaining about it making their cat(s) sick or the cat(s) not liking the new recipe.

orange&white

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
People need to file complaints with Friskies and the FDA. Otherwise, they never are aware of a problem.

spac

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I filed a complaint a few years ago around 2010 and nothing came of it. I remember the food (Poultry Platter) smelled like a rotten combination of a chemical and a chicken coop. I vaguely remember getting an internal email sent to me by mistake. I can't remember what it said, but it gave me the sense that they are willing to sweep complaints under the rug.

I remember there were people who were investigating pet food companies a few years ago (I think they still are) and they came to the conclusion that Purina is very corrupt. I think there were legitimate concerns over tainted dog food and Purina was trying to cover it up rather than issue a recall. That certainly doesn't surprise me. They're probably the biggest pet food company in the world. They've got a lot to lose.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought all the Friskies cans with new labels. I'll see if my cats notice any differences. Did you guys know that out of the 19 Friskies pates, only 3 of them don't have fish?! I was feeding my cats way more fish than I realized.

Tootaloos

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I had the same problem with friskies concoctions soft food. My cat got sock within 10 minutes and I thought she was dying. It took a week for her to get well again. I reccomend to everyone to never feed your animals any products from purina. If you love your pets and are a responsible pet owner spend more money on a way better quality food than this garbage. Never again will buy this. Please believe me do not feed this to your cats

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The Big Guy ate a can or two of the Concoctions, then wouldn't touch any flavor of this. It's pretty bad.

artiemom

Artie, my Angel; a part of my heart
Top Cat
Purraise
I think Friskies parent company is owned by the manufacturer, who recently had issues and had a recall on dog food.. that is what I slightly remember..

I always thought Friskies was not a good source of food.. again, just something that stuck in my frazzled brain...

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Friskies is owned by Purina now, and they have very few recalls conpared to other manufacturers. Purina is one of the few that manufacture their own canned food, and they have a fairly decent reputation as far as safety goes.

Some of my cats only eat canned Friskies and they're doing well. I haven't noticed any problems. Of course certain flavors may disagree with certain cats. . .no way to know except trial and error.

MissMolly08

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Friskies is owned by Purina now, and they have very few recalls conpared to other manufacturers. Purina is one of the few that manufacture their own canned food, and they have a fairly decent reputation as far as safety goes.

Some of my cats only eat canned Friskies and they're doing well. I haven't noticed any problems. Of course certain flavors may disagree with certain cats. . .no way to know except trial and error.
^^ This. My cat has been doing fine on Friskies and Fancy Feast, both Purina products.