Problems with Ferral Kitten

dewbug91

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all, Last wendsday my sister brought me a ferral kitten. I have shown him where the litter box is, placed him in it also. But he refuses to use it. He poops in my bath tub and pees in it. We have also found pee and poop in our closet. He meows all day non stop, and does not use the scratch post. Hes just being a wild child.. Can you help me with this?? I'm at wits end right now.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Thank you for taking in this feral cat. Any idea how the cat is?
First, here is a general article about taking care of feral cats.
He meows perhaps because he is scared. Or lonely. Where do you keep the kitten? I would put him/her in a small room, with some places he can hide (like a simple box).
Regarding using the the litter box and the cat scratcher: you could put some dirt and maybe even some leaves in the litter box so it smells more normal to him.
You might have to show him how to use the scratching post. Can you pick him up? If so, put his paws up close to the scratching post and mimic scratching.

Also, he should be taken to the vets as soon as possible for a general check up. It is almost assumed/a given that he has worms.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
There are a few things you can try.  First off he had been living outside he is used to going outside in the dirt.  You can put a thin layer of dirt on top of regular cat litter.  That might do the trick.  I have had really good luck with Cat Attract.  You can start by mixing it into regular litter or just use it as regular litter.  It is a bit expensive, but you won't need it for long.  Once the kitten begins to use the box, you can stop using the Litter Attract.  You can find it at most pet stores right with the regular litter.  It is made by Dr. Elsey's. 

Getting him to the vet is very important.  He will need a check up, deworming, some vaccines as well as determining when to spay/neuter.