Problems administering doxycycline

Threecatsandme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

Our kitten (approx 5-6 months), tested positive for mycoplasma and calicivirus. She is on liquid compound of doxycycline. We are having difficulty administering (we are only 3 days on of 21). Vet said to get it as far to the back of tongue as possible to reduce foaming and so she it doesn’t get on her taste buds as much.

First dose: dramatic foaming episode, but I understand that’s from the bitter taste (and we didn’t get it to the back).

Second dose: she didn’t foam much at the mouth, but vomited shortly after, followed by a retching/coughing episode that lasted awhile. I was afraid she aspirated (?) because I got it far back but shot it in too fast. Since then, she periodically lets out a single cough (sounds a little congested). She seems fine otherwise, despite being in heat (see below).

Third dose (last night): we tried feeding her some food before (I read that it can help reduce irritation of esophagus) and had a syringe with some water as a chaser. I tried to shoot it slower into the back of her mouth.

She had some foaming, lots of coughing/retching again and vomit. Retching lasts about 15 minutes and gradually subsides, but she has continued to let out a cough every once in a while since.

How concerned do we need to be about this?

Is she even getting any of the doxy if she vomits after? She is having some diarrhea since starting doxy so I’m guessing she’s getting at least some of it.

I’m starting to wonder if we should try pilling her instead? We’ve had success pilling her with another med.

I hate putting her through this and to make matters worse, she’s just went into heat. She was scheduled to be spayed TODAY and it’s now postponed to 2/14 due to mycoplasma. She went into heat the day after we got the results of her respiratory PCR when vet said we need to postpone spay (we had a whole conversation about being hopeful she won’t go into heat until spring). 😩

Any advice would be greatly appreciated as we are not sure what to do and are dreading each time we have to dose. I’m not sure how we are going to get through 21 days of this med.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would try the pill version if you have had success in the past with pilling her. There is absolutely no point - or benefit - in trying to keep giving her this med in liquid form. The diarrhea may be from stress rather than from the med.

Whatever you do, this med should be given with food - most antibiotics are a 'killer' on an empty stomach. The pill form can be cut up or crushed if need be. But, in all cases you must make sure that the meds are 'washed' from the esophagus to help prevent irritation.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Threecatsandme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I would try the pill version if you have had success in the past with pilling her. There is absolutely no point - or benefit - in trying to keep giving her this med in liquid form. The diarrhea may be from stress rather than from the med.

Whatever you do, this med should be given with food - most antibiotics are a 'killer' on an empty stomach. The pill form can be cut up or crushed if need be. But, in all cases you must make sure that the meds are 'washed' from the esophagus to help prevent irritation.
Thank you!

I have a call in to the vet to get the pill form. She ate about 5 minutes before dosing last night (and the whole episode that occurred). She refused to eat for a while after because of the distress from the retching/foaming/vomit, etc. with the liquid doxy.

Even with a pill, feeding 5-10 minutes before would be a good plan? Perhaps she will also eat sooner after the pill form (the previous pill we gave her a churu treat right after to wash it down and that worked well).

Thanks again for your advice!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Threecatsandme

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Posting this update in case anyone else is searching for a similar issue with doxycycline.

I called our vet about changing to the pill form of doxy and she recommends against it because it is especially irritating to the esophogus.
Although it’s not the vets first choice, she switched her to Zeniquin (marbofloxacin) which is available in a pill form and should effectively treat the mycoplasma (I’m really hoping so we can get her spayed soon).

Pilling her has been so much easier.