Problem With Mama Cat?

Phoit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. I am fostering a mama cat and her 7 kittens. She was a stray and is very very thin but does a good job nursing and cleaning the kittens. I am supplementing the runt but otherwise they are happy and healthy 3 week olds.

My concern is that Mama Cat doesn’t seem to spend much time them. She will nurse and clean and then go to my dark bathroom and sleep on my scale. She also has grey diarrhea. The vet did a second stool test and retreated with deworming meds just in case.

Is this normal? She’s eating a variety of food. Her appetite seems to vary. She has I/D dry and regular adult dry and kitten wet and A/D wet.

Thoughts ?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She sounds tired. Poor thing. She probably had a poor diet as a stray. It can take time for a cat’s gut flora to turn around. Try mixing some probiotic powder into her wet food. Also offer her boiled chicken and broth cooked with no spices or onion, just a little salt. She may need extra calcium too, so cheese and plain, full-fat yogurt are also good for her.

Buy a can of powdered kitten formula, and mix a dish or two a day for her to drink. The nutrients will be wonderful for her, and give her calcium as well.

Seven kittens is a lot, so mom needs breaks, and her naps in the bathroom are fine as long as she is feeding the kittens regularly.

Give mom some extra attention - extra loving and stroking. She needs and deserves it!

Thank you for fostering! :)

P Phoit

She's a witch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m guessing here but she may be too hot with the kittens? My cat sleeps on the glassy like surface like stove and body scale when it’s super hot in the apartment. Maybe that’s the case with her? I know kittens must be kept warm but maybe it’s too warm for her?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I agree, but would suggest goats milk instead of extra kitten kmr.
If you can get raw goats milk its even better.

Raw goats milk is sort off a probiotic in itself, too. Often useful on cases of sensitive stomach and similiar problems.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Phoit

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the advice! I feel out of my league. I don’t have access to goats but I am already doing a probiotic and just started giving her formula as well as to the runt. She’s already proved to be a chicken thief. I will make some for her. She loves it. I’ll buy some full fat yogurt as well.