Problem with fading kitten

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sarahc7072

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well I hadn't been supplementing the other ones until I put some on a plate as I stated above. Before the little one was abandoned I had left them alone with the momma. I didn't want to disturb her to much. My only real experience was strays I had and have "adopted " around my neighborhood.
Any knowledge like I said before is appreciated.

sarahc7072

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also he's eating 6 syringes full. It is one of the little ones. And then he also laps up a bit off a plate.

ellag

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
that is one adorable baby!! and mama is gorgeous too!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
S sarahc7072

The tiny baby needs a minimum of 40 mLs of KMR each 24-hour period. If you divide that into 6 feedings - one every 4 hours - he needs 6.5-7 mLs per feeding, more if he wants it. As the baby gains weight, the amount increases. The rule of thumb is 8mLs of formula per ounce of body weight.

The bigger kittens would benefit from supplementing too, as they need to gain weight and grow. They need 72 mLs of formula each 24-hour period. Divided into 6 feedings as stated above, they each need 12 mLs of formula every 4 hours.

I imagine if you begin supplementing all of them now, that you will see substantial gains over the next few days. They really need it. I don't think they are getting enough from mom.

You can use a bottle if they will take it. If not, the syringe is fine.

Let me know how it goes.

Last edited:

sarahc7072

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just gave them all some more on the plate and they are lapping at it.But I will start with them too. I will start a diary as was suggested as well. I am not sure my scales are completely spot on because every time he moves it goes up an Oz or down one. But his tummy is full. I really do appreciate your help because it's like I'm working blind here. The Internet is full of so much conflicting information it's like shooting darts at a carnival.
I also am giving the momma some extra formula. She's always been a small cat. So this can't hurt.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, mama kitty needs it too, and as much wet food as she wants. Keeping track of who gets how much and when is important. It will help you to reach goals with each kitten.

We are happy to help! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a question, he looks alert, is the mother a small cat in stature herself or what would be considered a normal sized cat.  The picture of her is hard to tell, hard to judge whether is a small sized adult female cat or what one would consider "the normal size of cat".  How much does mom weigh? And, the father, do you have any pictures of him?  From what I am reading the little kitten and the rest have great appetites, that's what makes me wonder about their genetics.   Just a thought

Last edited: