Problem solving requested

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Obi has gained weight , is not vomiting, no irregularities in his litter habits; chemistry panel 2 weeks ago, all fine. blood pressure is fine.  What's the problem?? he eats, and goes under the bed.  This is a new behavior for him.  He was at the vet today, and she thought he might be  having some aches and pains and sent him home with gabapentin, but doesnt eating, and going under the bed sound like a digestive issue??  Maybe this behavior should not bother me but it does; Obi takes pred for past GI issues and had a bout of pancreatitis 2 years ago.  Its frustrating me, because I cannot even get a clue about what is going on from labs, etc!

Thoughts??

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Has anything in the environment changed recently?  They are incredibly sensitive to even subtle changes. 

Hekitty had a bout with pancreatitis, too, and I still watch her like a hawk! 

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
No, nothing has changed.  All his vitals are normal.  His weight is up.  I worry about an abdominal tumor.  The vet did not feel anything abnormal...I  would think a cancer would cause weight loss, though...

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would think so...I'll keep reading here, and add whatever I can!

Last edited by a moderator:

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Have there been any changes in your home recently?  A different schedule, new people, visitors, construction/repair work on your home or nearby?  I would invest in a calming agent such as a feliway diffuser to see if that helps him de-stress.

Did she check his bowels?  Is he constipated or is he using the box normally?

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, Stephanietx, no, nothing is different.  No litter box problems, no constipation, she palpated his belly really well and did not feel anything unusual.  I have a Feliway, but it could probably use a refill, thank you for the reminder.  There WILL be work going on on my home in a week or so, the outside is getting stained, so I hope he feels better before then!

Picked up the Odansetron today - have given him one dose.  And fed him multiple small meals, which I think he likes.  I will do the same tomorrow. 

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
He is eating, no diharrea, no vomiting - but he eats and goes under the bed.  Yesterday he was much more social but today is another story.  He is going in for an ultra sound tomorrow.  Very nervous about that.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Please let us know what they said as soon as you can manage.  We're concerned, we care.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Aww, thanks, you folks are wonderful, this is a great site.

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Update:Hello All. Obi had his ultrasound today. The vet found three small masses on his spleen. She said they could be "benign regenerative nodules"; mast cell or lymphoma. She did not see anything else. She did not think the benign nodules would cause under the bed behavior, but she did say that his weight gain (recent) could be causing discomfort after meals. She can remove the spleen - over a thousand bucks. My issues with that: Obi is 16/17 years old. If it is benign, I have put him and myself through an expensive invasive procedure for nothing. If it is something - I guess there is a question mark there. Even if I factored out the cost, I am still left with the same concerns. She wants to repeat the US in a month. She would also like him to lose some weight (he is on pred) but I have another cat, Mittens, who is 8, and is petite, so dieting one cat and not another is very challenging. Suggestions and/or thoughts of any kind - on any part of this - appreciated.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
First, I am so sorry that you couldn't get a definitive diagnosis.  NOT knowing is so much worse than knowing, even if the knowing breaks your heart.  Sending beemz and good vibes your way!

You will have a better idea after the second procedure.  But the waiting is rough, I know.

For now, just feed them separately.  Either one on a counter and one on the floor, or in separate rooms.  A bit of a pain, but that will do it.

Keep us posted as you have news, or just need to talk about things.  YOU ARE NOT ALONE!

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Mamanyt, Thank you so much - again.  The problem with feeding separately, is that it forces both to meal feed. Mittens, my other cat, prefers to graze, and she can , she is petite.  So I can put  her in a room or on a counter but then I have to put a time limit on it.  Same with Obi, who has also gotten used to not having to gobble his food, he can dine leisurely and then return.  So now I have to meal feed both.  (sigh) oh well.

Yes, I realize that if the nodules do not change in size they are more than likely benign.  Also by then I will have more information about his under the bed behavior.  

I so appreciate this site and the support.  

myrnafaye

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hi, All.  I have been on line trying to find out if (assuming best case scenario) Obi has "benign regenerative nodules" on his spleen, would they cause any physical symptoms?  He is not losing weight.  

Allyocean

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm hoping for advice. Today my boy had an ultrasound they found nodules on his spleen and not sure if they said liver too. They said to bring him back in six weeks. My boy isn't hiding but very vocal at night. Surgeon said he'd be surprised if they were causing pain since they are so small.
May I ask the outcome and things you did?