Problem Regarding Cat Excretion

whee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I need some help regarding my cat.

Lily, about eight months old came to my home just couple days ago. During the first day, she was obedient to stay and excrete her waste in her litter box. However, after the first day, she roamed around the home and peed and pooed where she pleases. She apparently doesn't pee and poo in her litter box but goes to different places to dispense her waste as I would assume she wants to mark her territory.

I want Lily to excrete her waste in her litter box, can someone offer suggestions?

I can't let her off the hook now, she's confined in an area. However I do wish that she can change her habit so she can freely go where she wants in my home. After all, Lily can't stay forever at a place, since she is nocturnal and likes to move around during night.

Thanks,

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
She's new so she still has a lot to learn and is also going to be a little stressed. Do you know much about her previous home? Is she from a shelter? What type of litter was used?

What are you trying to use for litter and what type of litter box(es)?

It's always a good idea to have a vet check on any new animal coming into the home, and of course inform them of litter box issues like this.

But, confining her to a smaller room (like a bedroom or large bathroom) to litter box train her and figure out what is going wrong if she should be trained already is the first step.
You also need to get a proper enzyme cleaner for removing the deeper scent of urine and poop that we can't smell but a cat can. I don't know where you live and can shop at, though.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

whee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
From what I know, my parents bought Lily from a pet shop at a nearby mall. She's from a shelter; a store basically.

I don't understand, is there different types of litter?

Well, I have locked up an area for her to stay. Does it have to be small? It's in the kitchen.

Proper Enzyme Cleaner? Where can I get one? How can I identify the location of the urine?

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did they buy her or adopt her? Either way, though, she'll likely be used to having lived in a cage for a while and will have some litter box issues and maybe a few other odd habits.
Do get her to a vet soon, she'll need a check up and to be checked for worms.

A kitchen is smaller than a whole house, so it will work. Basically anywhere the litter box is easily within sight and smell (to her) in the room will be easier for her. It also makes it easier to clean up after her if she's not going in every room to pee on the floor.

There are many types of litters. There's two basic categories, though: Non clumping and clumping. There are a couple of litter alternatives that do neither, but those are only to really be used as last resort when you can't have litter in the house for one reason or another (usually the cat or a human's health).

Some cats are fine with the plain old non clumping clay. There are also wood pellets that don't clump around poop, but will break apart and loosely clump urine. Some cats don't like stepping on these rougher litters so many people prefer to use the finer sand like clumping litters. These come in clay, silica crystals, corn (Worlds Best Cat Litter brand), and wheat (Swheat Scoup brand), and some non-pellet types of wood (Feline Pine scoopable).
Every cat is different in what they prefer. Generally though your best choice is to provide the finest, non scented, and least dust option you can find. (again, I don't know where you live, so I don't know what to suggest for brands)

What type of litter box does she have? Is it a plain open box or is there a top on it with a door? If it's the latter, take the top off. Some cats will not use a covered litter box.

Enzyme urine removing cleaners are sold at pet stores. An employee can show you where they are. Nature's Miracle works for some, though others prefer a couple of brands that can only be purchased online.
You can get a small blacklight (pet stores sometimes sell these too) to shine over the floor. Areas that still have dried urine on them will glow.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you're in the US, and near a Petsmart, I'd suggest, besides all the excellent suggestions above, getting an open pan and a bag of either Kitten Attract or Cat Attract litter. Both are designed to get kitties to use the box (Cat Attract was specially designed for cats with litter box issues). Cat Attract will have a brochure inside that describes how to clean up after accidents, and a $1.00 off coupon. It's not the cheapest litter in the world, but I swear by it, and I think it's usually worth at least one try.

Some kitties are very picky about their litter (and, yes, once you start looking you'll be amazed at how many litters there are), and often they would like at least two boxes - one for pee, one for poo. Also, scoop twice daily - think about how clean you like your own bathroom.

And, believe me, I know it's hard - try to stay calm and be patient with Lily - her whole world has turned upside down and she's learning all sorts of new things. She'll definitely pick up on your anxiety and stress, and that will just stress her out more. She's not doing this on purpose - usually box accidents are the result of trying to tell us something. If anyone yells at her for peeing or pooing, she'll only think it's the peeing and pooing that are bad - and she'll try even harder to hide that she has to go.

Oh, hey, have you taken her in for a vet check yet...if not, please do asap, even if the store said she's been thoroughly checked. And tell the vet about the litter box issue. Many times, cats will develop urinary tract infections as a result of the stress of changes in their lives - and then it hurts to pee/poo and then they associate the hurt with the box, not with the peeing or pooing. They think the box itself is hurting them. Then they need vet treatment, and often a nice new box in a slightly different area, sort of starting over.

Good luck with your little girl - I remember, when I got mine a few years ago, how many new things I was learning every day. I got a book called Cats for Dummies (there's a kitten version too) - it was very helpful in learning the basics.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since she's new to your home, it's very possible that she's stressed out. You can run a Feliway diffuser to help her de-stress. Also, put a litter box in every room of your home. You can use disposable aluminum cake pans. She's probably not used to the location of the box. Over time, you can remove the disposable pans. Be sure you have at least 2 permanent boxes for her. Some kitties like to pee in one and poop in another. Lastly, if you're in the US you can look for Cat Attract litter for kittens and add that to your boxes.

sarahp

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Just want to check, is Lily 8 weeks, or 8 months old? In your other thread, you said she was 8 weeks

whee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Did they buy her or adopt her? Either way, though, she'll likely be used to having lived in a cage for a while and will have some litter box issues and maybe a few other odd habits.
Do get her to a vet soon, she'll need a check up and to be checked for worms.

A kitchen is smaller than a whole house, so it will work. Basically anywhere the litter box is easily within sight and smell (to her) in the room will be easier for her. It also makes it easier to clean up after her if she's not going in every room to pee on the floor.

There are many types of litters. There's two basic categories, though: Non clumping and clumping. There are a couple of litter alternatives that do neither, but those are only to really be used as last resort when you can't have litter in the house for one reason or another (usually the cat or a human's health).

Some cats are fine with the plain old non clumping clay. There are also wood pellets that don't clump around poop, but will break apart and loosely clump urine. Some cats don't like stepping on these rougher litters so many people prefer to use the finer sand like clumping litters. These come in clay, silica crystals, corn (Worlds Best Cat Litter brand), and wheat (Swheat Scoup brand), and some non-pellet types of wood (Feline Pine scoopable).
Every cat is different in what they prefer. Generally though your best choice is to provide the finest, non scented, and least dust option you can find. (again, I don't know where you live, so I don't know what to suggest for brands)

What type of litter box does she have? Is it a plain open box or is there a top on it with a door? If it's the latter, take the top off. Some cats will not use a covered litter box.

Enzyme urine removing cleaners are sold at pet stores. An employee can show you where they are. Nature's Miracle works for some, though others prefer a couple of brands that can only be purchased online.
You can get a small blacklight (pet stores sometimes sell these too) to shine over the floor. Areas that still have dried urine on them will glow.
She was bought from a pet store.

What is "worms" you talk of?

Well, I relocated her litter box elsewhere. In a washroom. However, she still pees and poops at the living room if the door to the main floor is closed. I suppose it has to do with scent. I suppose I should get those enzyme cleaner, but apparently, her pee was not identified early enough. It's dried up.

Lily uses clumping litter, ones that solids when she pees. For some reason, it does not clump when she poops.

I will consider those litter you have recommended.

The litter box has a latter on it, but Lily still excretes her waste regardless of the cover.

Thanks for the information about enzyme cleaners, I need them if I want to change Lily's habit.

whee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

If you're in the US, and near a Petsmart, I'd suggest, besides all the excellent suggestions above, getting an open pan and a bag of either Kitten Attract or Cat Attract litter. Both are designed to get kitties to use the box (Cat Attract was specially designed for cats with litter box issues). Cat Attract will have a brochure inside that describes how to clean up after accidents, and a $1.00 off coupon. It's not the cheapest litter in the world, but I swear by it, and I think it's usually worth at least one try.

Some kitties are very picky about their litter (and, yes, once you start looking you'll be amazed at how many litters there are), and often they would like at least two boxes - one for pee, one for poo. Also, scoop twice daily - think about how clean you like your own bathroom.

And, believe me, I know it's hard - try to stay calm and be patient with Lily - her whole world has turned upside down and she's learning all sorts of new things. She'll definitely pick up on your anxiety and stress, and that will just stress her out more. She's not doing this on purpose - usually box accidents are the result of trying to tell us something. If anyone yells at her for peeing or pooing, she'll only think it's the peeing and pooing that are bad - and she'll try even harder to hide that she has to go.

Oh, hey, have you taken her in for a vet check yet...if not, please do asap, even if the store said she's been thoroughly checked. And tell the vet about the litter box issue. Many times, cats will develop urinary tract infections as a result of the stress of changes in their lives - and then it hurts to pee/poo and then they associate the hurt with the box, not with the peeing or pooing. They think the box itself is hurting them. Then they need vet treatment, and often a nice new box in a slightly different area, sort of starting over.

Good luck with your little girl - I remember, when I got mine a few years ago, how many new things I was learning every day. I got a book called Cats for Dummies (there's a kitten version too) - it was very helpful in learning the basics.
I don't live in US, however Petsmart does have it's place around my home. I will consider those litter you recommend.

Oh, I never realized that cats need two litter boxes. That could explain why there's mostly pees in the litter box instead of poop.

If I were to not scoop twice daily but only once, will that be detrimental to her health? I'm kind of lazy >.< (Insert Disappointment/Anger)

That seems reasonable, I would too feel bad for pooing or peeing.

I will take that into mind about the vet, just that I don't have the time. School is starting soon, and I might need to bring her to the vet during the weekends. I never realized that cats will develop urinary tract infections nor did I know that cats may consider boxes as harmful to them. You suggest a new litter box? Maybe I just need to remove the cover to satisfy my kitten.

Thanks for your suggestions and help =P

whee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by stephanietx

Since she's new to your home, it's very possible that she's stressed out. You can run a Feliway diffuser to help her de-stress. Also, put a litter box in every room of your home. You can use disposable aluminum cake pans. She's probably not used to the location of the box. Over time, you can remove the disposable pans. Be sure you have at least 2 permanent boxes for her. Some kitties like to pee in one and poop in another. Lastly, if you're in the US you can look for Cat Attract litter for kittens and add that to your boxes.
Possibly true that she is stressed. However, to me, Lily seems to be enjoying her new home. When I throw a ball for her to play, she chases it. She is also comfortable with my family, no aggression to us.

What's a Feliway diffuser?

Err... litter box in every room? Is that necessary? I think just having one litter box at a floor may help. In that case, would it be possible to train Lily to only stick with one litter box?

Two litter boxes for poop and peeing. What type of litter would you recommend for poop and pee?

I don't live in US unfortunately, but probably a nearby pet store has the product your recommending me.

Thanks for your help =P

rad65

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by whee

What is "worms" you talk of?
Worms are intestinal parasites that leech nutrients out of your cat's system, both leading to malnutrition as well as causing some of their own special problems, like smelly poop. There are hookworms, roundworms, tapeworms, and lots of less common worms that could be holed up inside your cat. A vet can do a stool sample, where he looks at it under a microscope, and he'll be able to see worms or worm eggs in your cat's poop.

whee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by sarahp

Just want to check, is Lily 8 weeks, or 8 months old? In your other thread, you said she was 8 weeks
She was 8 weeks, now 9 weeks. It's rather weird, but Lily seems to be a lot bigger than an actual kitten. Either the clerk at the pet shop tricked us into buying her or it's my own misinterpretation that she grows at a fast rate.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Technically, you should have one more litter box than cats.

Cats cover their sickness and stress very well. She will play and such, but the stress will come out in other ways.

Look for Cat Attract litter to start with for her, especially since she's having litter box problems. There's some special in the litter that seems to help kitties using the box properly.

Feliway is a pheromone that helps kitties relax. You can find it at stores such as PetCo and PetsMart. I'm not sure where you live, but if you can't find it locally, you can probably find it online somewhere.

darlili

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh, good luck - I know it's frustrating. If you possibly can, try scooping twice a day...it truly works out to be a little faster than waiting to do a 'big job'. My routine is to scoop twice a day, morning and evening - after their get their morning and evening meal, before I get mine. Even with four boxes for two cats, it takes me maybe 5 minutes - they're in different places on one floor (I have a condo).

I also totally dump out all the litter and wash the boxes well with hot hot water once a month, and then replace the litter with fresh litter. That seems to work for us, but your little girl will let you know what works for her. Some cats like really deep litter, some like maybe an inch in the box. Lily may end up using one box, but it's really safer to offer her two boxes, in two different locations if at all possible.

Now, she is very young - sometimes kittens get so excited about playing, they don't leave themselves enough time to run to the box - or, they just forget where the box is! A lot of people will put those small aluminum cake pans out as litter boxes until the kitten matures and can remember where her main boxes are. The key thing is to try to be patient and understanding - I know it's not easy - most cats really want to go in a pan, and it's either illness or having a hard time getting to a nice clean pan that make them stop using a pan.

The urine will clump, as you noticed - if you're lucky, she likes to cover her poo as well and that will sort of dry out the poo.

When you call the vet to schedule her check up, ask the receptionist how they want you to bring samples in. For me, I usually try to scoop up a poo sample as close as possible to the appointment...I double bag it in plastic sandwich bags, sealing them really well, then usually inside a another trash bag, and put it in the fridge. I know it seems gross, but it's not as bad as it seems.

Do you have a public library, or book store near you? Usually those places will ahave books like "Kittens for Dummies" or "Caring for your Cat", titles like that, that try to go over everything a new cat owner needs to learn...believe me, I remember how overwhelming it all seemed.

I would suggest calling your vet for a check up appointment...at least in the US, a lot of pet stores aren't really good at caring for the animals they sell...it's always good to get your own doctor to do a full exam.

The most important thing is to love Lily - and you're doing a great job there.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by darlili

I would suggest calling your vet for a check up appointment...at least in the US, a lot of pet stores aren't really good at caring for the animals they sell...it's always good to get your own doctor to do a full exam.
Plus some of the animals they may get in the stores have come from questionable breeders. This is the reason why some people will get pet store animals that are very unhealthy. Poor breeding in some also causes unsuspecting owners years of frustration and heartache if there's a congenital health issues (more of a problem for purebred dogs who haven't been properly vet checked to make sure they should even be bred)/

whee, where are you precisely? We have members from other countries, maybe they can be of help for suggesting products.

whee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Originally Posted by strange_wings

Plus some of the animals they may get in the stores have come from questionable breeders. This is the reason why some people will get pet store animals that are very unhealthy. Poor breeding in some also causes unsuspecting owners years of frustration and heartache if there's a congenital health issues (more of a problem for purebred dogs who haven't been properly vet checked to make sure they should even be bred)/

whee, where are you precisely? We have members from other countries, maybe they can be of help for suggesting products.
Hmm... Exact coordinate wise? Joking. I live in Toronto, Canada.

Thanks for the heads up, apparently Lily seems fine, I hope she didn't have any breeding problems.

whee

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Now, I have another question.

How much food am I suppose to feed Lily? I don't want to over feed her.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
At her age, feed her as much as she wants. Mostly canned, but allow her a good quality dry as well.