Problem Peeing

meowsersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I had a quick question on problem peeing. My cat does this occasionally, but is generally very good about using the litterbox. When he was a kitten, he peed in an open suitcase on the ground and an empty laundry basket. I take care not to leave things around that resemble litterboxes now. However, I was just cleaning the litterbox and he ran in, jumped into an empty cardboard box and squatted to pee. I grabbed him, put him in the litterbox, and he did his business. I think he mainly mistakes boxes and things as things to pee in, but sometimes he pees on the carpet when I leave him to go on vacation. I left him with a petsitter while I was out of the country for 1 month and he peed all over her child's bedding. Do you think this is just a case of mistaken identity and/or acting out because I've left him? Just curious on what you guys think. Also, he was an outside barn kitten before I adopted him so maybe he was used to peeing wherever he liked when he was young. (He also likes to pee in the backyard now as a 6 year old adult)

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Aw, I'm sorry. The problem as a kitten was potentially a "mistaken identity" problem. But the peeing on her child's bed was likely a stress reaction. We tend to ascribe human emotions to cat peeing problems, but he wasn't doing it out of anger, but out of stress. Cats are very territorial, and it sounds like he was taken to the petsitter's home, not cared for in yours? He must have liked the child, because with stress-peeing, they tend to pee on soft things that smell like their person: mixing their scent with their person's scent (which is why beds are a favorite) has a calming effect on them.

Next time you have to leave town, perhaps there's a way he can be cared for in your home? If not, send him along with a t-shirt or two that you've gotten really sweaty, so he's got your scent to soothe him. You might also want to pay for a Feliway plug-in (another stress reducer) and for Cat Attract litter. This may stop the behavior before it starts.

(BTW, if the petsitter didn't use an enzyme cleaner properly to remove the scent, the smell alone would encourage him to continue going there. To correct "problem" peeing, properly cleaning the affected area(s) is imperative in the process.
).

He's been home for some time and not having a problem? Because peeing outside of the box is often a sign of some kind of medical problem - and just like with people, stress can trigger a medical problem. But peeing outside the box (by adult cats that normally use them) is one of the few ways cats have to tell us there is a problem, whether it's "just" stress or an actual medical problem. Sometimes it's actually related to the bladder - other times it's something like their teeth hurt and they need a dental. If he's been fine since you've been home, it's likely stress. But if you want to be certain, you might want to take him to the vet for a check-up, and ask them to express some pee for a urinalysis.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

meowsersmom

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I actually had to replace the little girl's bedding because they couldn't get the urine smell out. I'm leaving for another month soon and leaving him at home with my boyfriend. I'm hoping he doesn't act out while I'm gone. I've actually gotten a scoopfree automatic litterbox in preparation for this trip because I don't trust my boyfriend to keep the box clean enough!