Probiotic Questions

Cat_Mom

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I'm looking for recommendations on a good probiotic for my 2 newly adopted kitties. One kitty loves treats but the other, while interested, hasn't eaten any yet so I think I need a powder or liquid option. Both kitties each have their own food bowls but they tend to switch bowls while eating. Can they get too much probiotic?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here's info on using probiotics:

Too much probiotic and / or too high of a CFU count can cause tummy upset. It's generally recommended no more than one (Human) probiotic capsule daily for a cat and to start with a low CFU count and gradually increase over time. I would mix a dose into a small amount of canned food for each cat, let the cats eat lick their own bowls clean, and then give the rest of the canned food meal.

You can use either Human or pet probiotic. Human ones undergo more stringent quality control and testing than pet ones and they are also available in a wider variety of bacteria strains and CFU counts. Most vets will suggest FortiFlora but that's not a very good probiotic. FortiFlora is only really good to get inappetant cats to eat because of the yummy taste. Some people use Proviable which comes in capsule and gel form.