Probios VS Bene-Bac

stormyskiez

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Anyone know if Bene-Bac is better the Probios?

I have been giving my kitten Paw Probios for about 4 weeks to help his digestive system. He has had soft stools since we have had him (9 months). He has had 2 fecals done that turned out neg. His bowel movements improved some through this until 2 weeks into changing his food. He is 1 year old now and I was trying to put all the cats on a grain free food. I bought BG salmon, the cats don't like it. I'm now trying Evo Chicken. They seem to like it. All the cats were on dry nutro chicken kitten food. I was running low on the nutro kitten food and bought Iams natural and another natural brand food to mix in with the nutro and evo because the nutro is 30 mins away VS 8 mins for the Iams. Big Mistake it seems. I have not completely changed them onto Evo. I was doing this very slowly. They still have the nutro mixed with all the other foods currently. I'm wondering now if grain free food might be too rich for his system to handle or was adding 3 different foods to the nutro way to much for his system. Paw has been to the vets. He is a ringworm carrier, hopefully now cured. Testing is being done. We have put all the money we can into treating all the pets for ringworm and other issues.

I'd appreciate any opinions on this.

otto

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If I understand your post correctly, you have been making a lot of changes in food in a relatively short time. That alone can cause intestinal problems.

A fecal is not 100 % accurate in determining parasites.

To answer your question I like pro bios, but I have never tried bene bac though know many people who use it. (I don't have easy access to bene bac, but probios is easily available to me)

If this has been an on going problem, and you have been working with the same vet, I recommend you get a second opinion from another vet.

carolina

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It seems to me that the problem is not the mix, but HOW you mix it... you added one, then another... then another... Too many food changes, not enough time. Keep in mind that every food change will result in stomach upsets, so try to avoid doing it often, and always transition slowly...

I LOVE Bene-bac, but can not compare with Probios, as I never used. Also Bene-bac for $15 a lb, you can't beat it...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by otto

If I understand your post correctly, you have been making a lot of changes in food in a relatively short time. That alone can cause intestinal problems.

A fecal is not 100 % accurate in determining parasites.

To answer your question I like pro bios, but I have never tried bene bac though know many people who use it. (I don't have easy access to bene bac, but probios is easily available to me)

If this has been an on going problem, and you have been working with the same vet, I recommend you get a second opinion from another vet.

I prefer probios slightly less non "active" ingredients