Pro Plan canned food?

zak&rocky

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I usually do the shake test if I'm not sure.. But the words loaf and pate are the regular ground kinds, and the words "w/chunks" "in gravy" "shredded", "in sauce" are my clues to the kinds with bits in gravy. My kids will usually eat the chunks, but are finicky about the pate style. Lately it is actually getting eaten once in awhile, but if I feed it too often, forget it.
My neighbors cat is the exact opposite. Through trial and error, the only wet food it will eat is pate 9 lives!

akbeck98

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The only kind I don't buy is Aslip (something) it has like real pieces of fish that gross me out! Sorta like if you see a scale in your tuna fish! YUCK!

Otherwise mine like both the pate and chunks with gravy. At petsmart they often have it on sale if you use your savers card and I just buy a few cases. The kitten variety doesn't have as many flavors, but the adult has a lot more.

techiegirl

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by jugen

Look. I feed all my cats both wet AND dry Pro Plan and they are happy and Healthy. I'm not saying it's the best OR the worst for them. I'm just saying what works for MY animals. That's all. It's your opinion what works for your animals. If you choose to feed a B.A.R.F diet then ok that's great. If you choose to feed them something you like, then that's your choice. It's personal prefrence and what the cats likes AND what you think makes your cat healthy and happy.
well said!
I feel that the "best" food for your cat is the one it does best on!! A simple statement but true. I have tried many foods - wet and dry. Feeding Science Diet Sensitive Stomach for breakfast and ProPlan for dinner has solved several issues with my cats - one used to always vomit and that has decreased significantly.

Yes, it has byproducts and if you are opposed to that than I would not suggest it. But it has worked for my cats!

**I have recently switched them to Authority, which is PetSmart's brand. It is less expensive and has no byproducts!!! But I still think ProPlan is good.

jlphilli

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have done volumes of canine and feline... And analysis of how things work together
I really, really don't want to be rude, but I study companion animal nutrition (I am a doctorate student) at NCSU and I must say that some of the conclusions you make have no scientific validation behind them and are strictly opinion oriented...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlphilli

I really, really don't want to be rude, but I study companion animal nutrition (I am a doctorate student) at NCSU and I must say that some of the conclusions you make have no scientific validation behind them and are strictly opinion oriented...
Some is experience but most is scietifically based ...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by jlphilli

...from where?
Various sources ... Books , Magazines with studies , vet journals , actual Prof working with animals and One of my jobs...Many certifiable avenues

urbantigers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I prefer to err on the side of caution. My cats have looked and behaved like healthy cats on ok food (good quality dry but poor quality wet) but I'll only know that something's wrong when they show symptoms of a condition or a blood test comes back showing something is not right. I'd rather not wait for that to happen before I start feeding something better so I've switched to a better quality wet food with added water for my 9 year old. Prevention is better than cure in my book