Printers

marinewife05

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I think I may be in the market for a new printer. Currently I have an all-in-one the EPSON Artisan 800. My problem is that it has started guzzling ink. I just replaced all my ink about two weeks ago maybe less and haven't printed very much at all and it's almost out again. Ink cost about $75.00 for all the colors and the black.

I'm thinking of getting a regular printer and a seperate photo printer. Does anyone have any ideas? I need something that doesn't have really expensive ink.

mrblanche

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I personally hate Epsons, because I had one that let me down two years in a row when I was printing my tax return! I also had an all-in-one Epson that printed great...until the suction tubes got gunky. I cleaned them out, but it was just too much.

I stick to HP's now. The great thing about an HP is that every time you change the ink cartridge, you also change the print head. And the print head is the single item most likely to fail on any printer (especially an Epson at tax time...did I mention that?).

I see Kodak is touting their lower-cost ink cartridges.

I currently have two HP's. My favorite is a Deskjet F4180. You can buy standard ink cartridges, or "high capacity" ones that seem to last forever.

rapunzel47

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I have a Canon i850 inkjet that I bought refurbished in January 2004 for just over $100 (the original price for a new one was just over $200). A few months ago, I had to replace the print head, at a cost of about $80, including shipping. I debated with myself about spending that and decided that since this has been a little dream, with never a problem until this, that I would go for the prospect of getting my little dream back for another several years. I have not been sorry.

After only a little fuss discovering where to buy the part, I had it within a few days, and installed it myself in a few seconds. Ink tanks, while not cheap, last a long time, and are changed just as easily -- in separate colours. It's not intended as a photo printer, but it does a perfectly fine job. I can't say enough about my satisfaction.

Bottom line: I hope it just keeps going forever, but if does cash in its chips, I'll definitely be favouring Canon for my next purchase.

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used to have a Canon i850 and really liked it, but when I bought my new camera, they threw in a photo printer so I gave it to a friend and use a HP multifunction for general printing/faxing/copying etc

As far as recommendations, it really depends on what you will use it for and how much, and how big you want to print photos (4x6 or bigger) and whether you want borderless printing