Primal vs. Nature's Variety?

pippapippa

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm trying to switch my cats over to raw. What I want to do is adjust them to raw on a premade diet before I start making my own. Could anyone give me ideas about which one of these brands is better? I know RadCat seems to be one of the best, but it's out of my budget. Both Primal and Nature's Variety looked pretty good to me (minus the vegetables) but does anyone have any experience that could guide me towards which one would be best? They'll probably only be on it for one-two months until I can get a grinder, etc. and do a little more research.

Last edited:

katluver4life

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I used both in my rotation when mine first went to raw. I don't think either of those is better over the other. Using both would give variety, which IMO is whats best. Each have a different variety of meats also.

ritz

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I agree that variety is definitely the way to go.

When I was feeding Ritz commercial raw (I now feed whole prey model/frankenprey), she preferred Primal to NV, it was more of a texture thing than taste I think.  (For a while she didn't like thighs because they were slimier than breast.)

wimama

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My kitten is the opposite.  She prefers the Nature's Variety bites to the Primal. I am not sure if it is the texture of the bites or the taste she prefers.

Both brands have trial sizes that you can try out.

Last edited:

maewkaew

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if one is markedly better than the other. I would just get some trial sizes of both as wimama mentioned and try both, maybe see if you can get trial sizes of some different meats from each and see what your cats like. because they might like some kinds and not others.
Mine turned out to like Natures Variety better. They LOVE the NVI venison. But they have decided they don't like the chicken.

chandra09

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
They're both very similar and good choices. A small difference is that all the NV frozen raw formulas are 95% meat/bone/organ and 5% produce/supplements. The Primal frozen raw formulas range from 90% to 93% meat/bone/organ and 7% to 10% produce/supplements.

But what's most important is what your kitty prefers!

Last edited: