Primal Raw Goat Milk

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Has anyone used the Primal raw goat milk as a supplement for older picky cats? My 13 year old super finicky cat seems to be turning his nose up to his raw food :( I've never been able to get him to eat any wet food, just raw, so I'm upset that he's now refusing it. He's eating good quality kibble (tiny amount of Orijen mixed with Ziwipeak air dried) but I'm trying to keep him hydrated and I was thinking about trying their goats milk. 

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I tried a sample of the Primal Goat's milk; but, really prefer Answers more. The Primal was ok, I just preferred a supplement that was 100% Goat's milk over one with other ingredients.

So long as the milk is no more than 10% of his diet, I think it should be just fine.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried a sample of the Primal Goat's milk; but, really prefer Answers more. The Primal was ok, I just preferred a supplement that was 100% Goat's milk over one with other ingredients.

So long as the milk is no more than 10% of his diet, I think it should be just fine.
It doesn't look like anyone near me carries the Answers brand :( I would also prefer something that doesn't have so many additives. 

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
A store by where I live called chuck n dons carries it. If you looked at pet stores you need to ask about it most of the time because it's stored in a freezer and most of the time you won't even be able to tell its in there. That's just my experience with it. I would also consider trying something like Instinct rabbit wet with a mix of instinct rabbit dry raw boost mix mixed in. They have little $3 packs of the dry so if they don't like it, it won't be to big of a waste. 

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

A store by where I live called chuck n dons carries it. If you looked at pet stores you need to ask about it most of the time because it's stored in a freezer and most of the time you won't even be able to tell its in there. That's just my experience with it. I would also consider trying something like Instinct rabbit wet with a mix of instinct rabbit dry raw boost mix mixed in. They have little $3 packs of the dry so if they don't like it, it won't be to big of a waste. 
He does actually like the instinct rabbit and chicken boost mixes but he wont eat them wet, only dry.
 Sometimes he'll eat Tikicat chicken and salmon but he only really licks the juice. He'll drink tuna water, but I don't want to give him too much of it. He's also got some IBD so he can't go too long without food or he vomits bile and then wont eat anything so I can't just avoid giving him kibble. I have 6 other cats, plus fosters and ferals outside so nothing goes to waste around here 

sparkymema

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would try just feeding them alone, give them the regular dry, but when you do dry tomorrow I would take a teaspoon of the dry out and put in a teaspoon for wet. What works best for me is caking it onto the dry, and then slowly adding more and more. It may take a month to get them to switch to mostly wet, but if you try just a teaspoon of wet subbed for dry a day you should be able to start subbing wet for dry more and more. The thing you said about the tuna water is good news because you might be able to add some kitty gravy in with the dry and wet. 

Last edited:

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I would try just feeding them alone, give them the regular dry, but when you do dry tomorrow I would take a teaspoon of the dry out and put in a teaspoon for wet. What works best for me is caking it onto the dry, and then slowly adding more and more. It may take a month to get them to switch to mostly wet, but if you try just a teaspoon of wet subbed for dry a day you should be able to start subbing wet for dry more and more. The thing you said about the tuna water is good news because you might be able to add some kitty gravy in with the dry and wet. 
Thanks for the suggestions! I'm hoping he'll come around and eat his raw again. But he does this once and awhile, gets super picky and doesn't want to eat whatever he was eating previously. 

ralphscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I have seven furbabies. The one that I took in last year LOVES Primal raw goat's milk. She is only about two or three years old though. My other ones had mixed reactions  to the milk. The one that loves it had colitis, and she had no problems digesting it.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

I have seven furbabies. The one that I took in last year LOVES Primal raw goat's milk. She is only about two or three years old though. My other ones had mixed reactions  to the milk. The one that loves it had colitis, and she had no problems digesting it.
Thanks! I'll probably try it, although I kind of doubt my older guy will like it, but with 4 kittens and a dog, someone will 

ralphscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Because it is raw, it doesn't last as long as a regular gallon of milk you buy from the store. Make sure you shake it up each time before you use it because the cinnamon and stuff tends to settle at the bottom. I just got an FIV kitten and am thinking about giving her some. I've fed her some raw, and she loves it. Please keep us posted on how it goes if you feed the milk.

solstice

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Goats milk is usually very good for cats and most cats love it.Also goats milk is better than cows milk because most cats are lactose intolorant(that means they can'nt digest the lactose in cows milk or any other milk like some humens i.e me) to cows milk so it is better for them.My 12year old female cat really enjoys it but to be honest i do'nt think its that benafitul to them.I use the ST Helens Farm Goats milk but you can only get it in the U.K.

missmimz

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

Goats milk is usually very good for cats and most cats love it.Also goats milk is better than cows milk because most cats are lactose intolorant(that means they can'nt digest the lactose in cows milk or any other milk like some humens i.e me) to cows milk so it is better for them.My 12year old female cat really enjoys it but to be honest i do'nt think its that benafitul to them.I use the ST Helens Farm Goats milk but you can only get it in the U.K.
I'm trying to find a local farm to get some from since there only seems to be one store in the area that sells the Primal and I don't know how my cats will feel about the additives (like cinnamon). I will update on how they like it. 

ralphscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cinnamon and other additives have health benefits, in my opinion. My Maddie had colitis very bad. The vet had prescribed several rounds of antibiotics. She had constant bloody stools. I put her on Nature's Variety raw and Primal's goat milk, and that made her colitis better. It will flair up if she gets really stressed. I also found a good natural calming supplement for her. I'm pretty sure she would live on Primal's goat milk if I let her drink that much! lol She really loves it, and I'm glad since it helped her so much.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

The cinnamon and other additives have health benefits, in my opinion. My Maddie had colitis very bad. The vet had prescribed several rounds of antibiotics. She had constant bloody stools. I put her on Nature's Variety raw and Primal's goat milk, and that made her colitis better. It will flair up if she gets really stressed. I also found a good natural calming supplement for her. I'm pretty sure she would live on Primal's goat milk if I let her drink that much! lol She really loves it, and I'm glad since it helped her so much.
How interesting, I'm glad to hear the goat milk has worked out for Maddie.

Do you just keep the milk in the refrigerator and use within a short time?  It's rich with digestive enzymes, I know some of the rescue groups who foster kittens sometimes use goats milk instead of the canned milk replacement.

It's not too expensive, I think a bottle here in NYC is about $8, I might give it a try at some point.

ralphscats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes. My pet store sells it frozen. I think if I remember correctly it's because goats don't give milk all year long or they have to freeze it to keep it. I can't remember for sure. I put the bottle in the fridge to thaw out. Usually Maddie is impatient, so I shake the bottle every few hours or so to help speed up the thawing out process. Once it thaws, it doesn't last long. I usually use it up before it goes bad. Now that Maddie is doing better, she doesn't get it all the time. She would love it if I did give it to her all the time but sometimes I just forget to get it out of the freezer and thaw it out. My pet store carries I believe the Athority brand too, but I've never tried that one. I figured it the Primal worked there wasn't any sense in trying to change it.

lisamarie12

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes. My pet store sells it frozen. I think if I remember correctly it's because goats don't give milk all year long or they have to freeze it to keep it. I can't remember for sure. I put the bottle in the fridge to thaw out. Usually Maddie is impatient, so I shake the bottle every few hours or so to help speed up the thawing out process. Once it thaws, it doesn't last long. I usually use it up before it goes bad. Now that Maddie is doing better, she doesn't get it all the time. She would love it if I did give it to her all the time but sometimes I just forget to get it out of the freezer and thaw it out. My pet store carries I believe the Athority brand too, but I've never tried that one. I figured it the Primal worked there wasn't any sense in trying to change it.
That's great - thanks for the info!

Vita07

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I Just bought “Big Country Raw” goats milk for my soon to be 14 year old kitty and she won’t go for it at all. It was previously frozen, as I think they all are. Maybe it is too cold? Now what? Is it fit for humans to drink? Thanks.