Prilosec help pleaseee

sos2484

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi… I’ve done several posts here before about Oliver and have had more help here than the vets.
olivers intestines have been so filled with gas and his stomach has been making the craziest noises since an acute even in October that he hasn’t eaten normally since then. He has lost weight from not eating.
he’s had four ultrasounds, 2 FNA’s, bloodwork, X-rays, you name it.They come back with cancer one day, no cancer the next, kidney disease, numbers came back into the normal range, IBD, no IBD, I can’t take it anymore. Two weekends ago he was admitted to the ER because he was throwing up. Once a day, nothing consistent. Creatinine went to 3.2. They kept him over the weekend and his creatinine came down to 1.8.
the noises in his stomach were gone and he was eating like he hasn’t eaten in 5 months!
then the noises started coming back and he’s not eating and throwing up again.
I looked at what they gave him in the hospital and it was Pantoprazole.
So this cat who hasn’t felt 100% in 5 months finally felt good and I can’t get anyone to listen that that’s what he needed. I just went and bought Prilosec and want to give it to him but the ER won’t tell me what the dosage is or give me something else because the internet that treated him is out until Monday.
I am so frustrated. I’m in tears every day and I can’t get anyone to listen to me. If anyone can help me, I’d really appreciate it. I’m losing my sanity.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Both meds you mention are proton pump inhibitors but the one given to you at the ER is not available OTC. You have probably determined that by now though which is why you asked the dosage. There is some information in the middle of this thread about getting a omeprazole for a cat from Wedgewood.

Acid Reflex And Food

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sos2484

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes, I figured out it’s not OTC. I finally talked to someone that prescribed a compounded Prilosec. I’m hoping this works. Thank you for your reply.

Sillycat41

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, I figured out it’s not OTC. I finally talked to someone that prescribed a compounded Prilosec. I’m hoping this works. Thank you for your reply.
Found this post while searching for info on Prilosec (Omeprazole). Did this med help your Oliver to feel better? My Jengo is still vomiting about every other day and doesn't eat enough. I think that he has an upset stomach because of acid. Hoping to find something that works. The vet prescribes Cerenia to use twice a week but it's SO expensive that I was hoping to find something else.