Previous cat pee

anahidrose

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I fostered a cate that peed all over my house over a period of 6 years. Each time, I cleaned the pee up with hydrogin peroxide, baking soda and vinegar. The cat is in a lovely forever home (heated barn). Now, I have a new cat. He has been in a cage and empty room to begin a socialization process. Tonight, I let him out to explore and he keeps going to the areas where my previous cat peed. He smells and comes away with a weird face and open mouth. I pray to GOD he does not pee in the same spots. What should I do?

Primula

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You need to clean those places with an enzyme cleaner specially made for this purpose. Google them.

MoochNNoodles

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Are they carpeted area?  I agree; you need a good enzyme cleaner.  I have used the Nature's Miracle brand but there are others out there (some people don't like Nature's Miracle).  If it's a lot of carpet; it might be worth seeing if a professional cleaning company can come in to at least do the worst areas.  Be sure they know it's a cat urine issue.  My mother has had her carpets done while a company had a special for doing a certain number of rooms.  If you can't use a professional company; renting a machine might be a good option. But either way you will need a good amount of enzyme cleaner.  It really needs to soak down into where the stains are so it can break down the proteins that make it so difficult to get out.

terrabella

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Home Depot carries a cleaner called odo ban. I used to clean Fannie Mae and Freddie Mac houses and that's what we used for "cat" houses. It can be ran threw a steam cleaner, carpet cleaner. You can use it with a spray bottle...It's very versatile. Plus it's concentrated so you can mix according to what you need.

melanie jean

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I've been battling spraying in my house for months now and I concur with what the others said- you need an enzyme cleaner. Nature's Miracle has been recommended to me too but what I've been using is Mister Max Anti-Icky poo because one if our big local rescues use it (and sell it in their clinic) so I figure they know what works. Home Depot sells the gallon but I've bought the quart online. 

The book I've got for multi-cat households says that horizontal surface should be cleaned with the enzyme cleaner but the vertical surface with soap and water, then sprayed with a pheromone spray, the idea being the next time the cat approaches that spot the pheromones will create a positive association rather than the cat feeling the need to re-mark the spot. It's sort of counter-intuitive to not enzyme clean the wall as well but evidently the enzymes could break down the pheromones. Opinions are mixed on whether pheromones actually work on cats but it was something that I have tried to discourage marking. Not sure how successful that's been though.