Preventing Indoor cats getting out windows.

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I am not sure if this is the right Forum ( Behaviour ) for my question, apologies if it is not.
I have 4 indoor cats. 3 of whom are under 4 months, so they are at present confined too a room most of the time, until play time which is any where up too 4 times a day, where they can run pretty much anywhere. The other one is almost 9 months old. It is shocking too think, I have only just realized, * how do I avoid these cats gettin out open windows* ?...My 9 month old, granted, has not tryed, and it is winter here so the windows aren't open much anyway...what about summer ?, What about when these kitties are older?...any advice would be greatly appreciated

goldenkitty45

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm assuming you have no screens on the windows? If you don't, then you will have to get some kind of temporary screen to put in front of the window and then tape it so they can't get it out. Otherwise there is nothing I know of that would prevent them from getting out a non-screened open window.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
That's right GoldenKitty, I do not have screens like the other house I rented before buying this house, had. Just plain windows....I can open them just a bit...but some of the windows are easy too push open from the inside. I guess all I can do, is in the hot months, only open windows in some rooms, not the main area...or vice versa...and keep the kitties too say half of the house ? I have and am, teaching them that jumping onto curtains and window ledges is not allowed...but obviously nothing is garanteed.They have a room where I have taken the curtains down
So they can sit there too their hearts galore and watch the birds and paddocks, and me with the dogs etc during the day, and bugs at night
So yea I guess that will be my plan for now. To ensure air gets around the house, just stagger opening certain room windows, and I think in a while I will get some screens, but even the ones I know of, can be easy too collapse, depending I guess on which ones one gets. I shall look into it and ask around at shops. Thanks very much GoldenKitty

pennicat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
You should be able to have someone come and make custom screens to fit the windows that will be durable. I've never had a kitty knock out a good fitting screen. And the prices I've seen for custom screens are not that high.

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Excellent GoldenKitty ! I am going too ask about that this week
...Thankyou again muchly
..Pennicat...Yes I am looking into this, and Thankyou very much for your input, much appreciated, from you both

rugthugs

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Good news and bad news-
Good news-yeah, you can get a decent quality screen installed pretty cheap.
bad news-if your kitty really really wants OUT, those thingiemijigs in their hands are like diamonds on glass-they'll slash right through a screen.
I've had to replace entire screen doors when truly determined felines decided they were going outside, by golly. (One maine coon girl, and one alley cat calico girl, if you're wondering)
i do open my windows on nice days here. there are screens but I keep the windows open only a little bit and hope for the best. On open window days, you can a bengal scrunched under every single open window in the house just about.

kunalen

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Nacho my cat started getting out of our windows on to the ledge and we live 46 floors up.We decided to get custom fibre glass netted screens.These are the roller types.It cost about $us 1,000 but it is worth the peace of mind.
Kunalen&Nacho

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thankyou very much rugthugs, for your input....Yes I think opening them a little bit, and I am going too look around for some screens, because I would feel better knowing the screens are there....Thankyou very much Kunalen, yes I agree peace of mind is worth it, specially livng so high up
I live not far from a busy road, that already took my Special one, so there ain't no way I am taking chances either
Thanak all !

shakadaka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thankyou very much rugthugs, for your input....Yes I think opening them a little bit, and I am going too look around for some screens, because I would feel better knowing the screens are there....Thankyou very much Kunalen, yes I agree peace of mind is worth it, specially livng so high up
I live not far from a busy road, that already took my Special one, so there ain't no way I am taking chances either
Thanks not Thanak
..Thanks all !