Preventing Cat From Clawing Furniture

csavoyjo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello,

Ive has an ongoing issue with my 2 year old cat, he has continuously scratched the finishings, the doors, as well as the paint from the walls. I’ve tried spraying him with water and getting angry at him when catching him but it’s difficult to consistently do this since I’m at work during the day, and he typically bolts when he hears me coming.
I’m going to be moving (temporarily) into a new house until the owners sell it. The house is in tip top condition, I can’t have my cat cause damage ANYWHERE in their house.
How can I stop my kitty from scratching? He already has a scratching post, and!putting double sided tape/aluminum foil along the walls is really not ideal (its huge house).

Thank you in advance

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Spraying water and getting angry don't work...and since your cat runs when you come in, you know this. All you do is break the trust. That's fixable, btw.

Since you say that the best ways to train cats NOT to claw are not feasible for you, and double-sided tape and foil really do work, probably your best best is to cap his claws. There are many gel caps for cat's claws. They can be applied by your vet, or at home, and are far more inexpensive than repairing damage! Something like this:

https://www.google.com/aclk?sa=L&ai...hUKEwjzu8j01czcAhUFy1kKHbYgBxIQ9aACCDA&adurl=

If you google "claw caps for cats" you will find all sorts of options.

Also, make sure you have good scratching post options. Some cats like to scratch upright, some like slanted, some like horizontal. Some like a choice. A few "yeses" among the "nos" will help, as well.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I found the nail caps a PITA, and that is a pretty common sentiment. Still, we stuck with them for a couple of months, and you can probably deal with them while your in the temporary house. The only issue is that if your cat isn't docile enough to allow you access to the nails, it becomes a two person operation. I believe someone on here once described a one person method that works on an uncooperative cat but...you probably want two people. Check reviews and get the best reviewed brand, since the more they randomly fall off the more you'll have to deal with replacements. Having a groomer deal with it is not feasible because since, as mentioned, the nail caps do fall off prematurely from time to time you'll be dealing with the issue a lot more frequently than whatever it says on the packaging.