Preventing Behavior Problems During a Move

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
My husband and I will be moving with our three cats probably around the 21st of this month. The house is only around 17 miles away from where we live now. We are trying to help prevent behavior problems during this process by doing the right things for our cats to make it easy for them to adjust. 

Our cats:

Carrot- 4 years old- we've had him for around 2 years

Angua- 1 year 9 months old- has lived with us since she was 10 weeks old

Ruby-  approximately 1 year 6 months old- has lived with us since July of last year. 

All of the cats are indoor only, but sometimes go out on harnesses. 

There are already some things that I am slightly concerned about. Carrot has a tendency to urinate inappropriately when he is stressed. He also has feline herpes which can become more of a problem when he is under stress. We know he doesn't do well with change- he was surrendered to a shelter for behavior problems surrounding a new family member. He has acted out a bit when Ruby and Angua joined us. There are also some problems still with Ruby and Angua getting along. They are civil almost all of the time, but in some situations they will play a bit to roughly and Angua will growl and hiss.

One good thing for sure is that we will be moving out of a household that includes my mom's dog. Angua has a big problem with dogs- so this should limit some of her stress from the dog. Also we'll be moving into a three bedroom house, which means the cats will have their own safe room during the move. 

What I need is some tips on how to limit the stress for all of them. My current plans are:

- getting feliway diffusers set up in the house as soon as possible before we move in. We have these running at home and have had them since Ruby came home. 

- bringing enzyme cleaner (nature's miracle) with us in case of accidents

- moving just about everything before moving the cats and getting their room set up to some extent before they get there (at least one cat tree moved, fountain set up, litter box in place)

Today, I am washing all the cat blankets and cleaning their litter boxes. This way we will be able to move with these items covered with their scent from the twelve days they will use these between now and the move. 

I've been debating getting some Rescue Remedy as well just in case. 

As we have been packing, the cats have not shown any signs of stress. So far they are enjoying sitting in boxes and climbing over everything.

Does anyone have any other suggestions for what I can do to make things easier for everyone?

basschick

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
familiar smells help cats feel safter and more relaxed.  instead of washing their stuff, put some stuff that smells like them in the new place - bedding, toys, cat trees - along with some stuff that smells like you.  i've found well worn shoes and socks work well.  we actually moved HK's empty but dirty litter box in big plastic bags when we moved, and HK was so relieved it was there.  after spending time digging in the box, he relaxed on one of his blankets, putting his head next to one of my husband's old shoes and fell asleep.

good luck with your move!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

familiar smells help cats feel safter and more relaxed.  instead of washing their stuff, put some stuff that smells like them in the new place - bedding, toys, cat trees - along with some stuff that smells like you.  i've found well worn shoes and socks work well.  we actually moved HK's empty but dirty litter box in big plastic bags when we moved, and HK was so relieved it was there.  after spending time digging in the box, he relaxed on one of his blankets, putting his head next to one of my husband's old shoes and fell asleep.

good luck with your move!
Thank you!

I washed everything today so that they'll have a good 12 days to get everything covered in their scent again. I just couldn't imagine taking their really gross and hairy blankets in my car. Now they'll be so much better! We'll be scooping litter before we go, but moving with the litter around 12 days used so that the boxes will smell like them. I'll make sure not to vacuum the cat trees so those smell like them too.

Bringing dirty laundry might be good. Of course, Carrot tends to pee on dirty laundry so it may not work for our situation.  

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

NewYork1303

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I bought the cats some new ID tags for the move. They have embroidered collars that have our old home number, so they need to have something else for identification. The tags have "indoor only" on one side and my cell number and my husband's cell number on the back. I will be ordering them new collars soon, but they take a while to ship. 

Last edited: