Preventative Care

pyjamaviking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm about to adopt my first cat, how often do cats need flea, worm and tick treatment?

How often should you trim their nails?

What vaccination does an adult cat have every year? And what should I check she's already vaccinated against?

EmmiTemmi

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Depending on where you live, flea/tick treatments like frontline should be applied about every month (I stretch mine to 1.5-2months since my boys don't go outside, but it's possible to bring fleas in on your clothes). I didn't apply any this winter, but we just had a warm up last week (before getting dumped with snow again!), so I applied another dose.

Nail trimming timeframe is based on preference. I tend to trim an itty bitty amount every other week, just to keep them used to the feeling. Sometimes they clearly don't need it, so I'll skip a week. Just know that the quick (the pink bit that supplies the blood to the nail) grows with the nail, so if you let the nails get long, the quick will get long and you won't be able to trim the nails as short. If you keep their nails short, the quick will be short too. My kittens are fairly active, so for my safety, and the safety of my furniture, I trim fairly often. Never clip down to the quick though, because that will cause bleeding.

As for vaccinations, make an appointment at your vet and they can tell you everything you need to know. I believe the core vaccines your cat should have are for rabies and FVRCP (If she's from a shelter, these are almost guaranteed to be done. Most shelters vaccinate prior to sending cats home). Others will be recommended by your vet based on your situation and your cat. Here's an article describing some of the other vaccines. Kitten Vaccinations | Vaccination Schedule for Cats | petMD
Most vets allow you to make an appointment for your cats first check-up even before you get the cat, so if vet's are busy near where you live, make an appointment now for a date when you know you'll have your cat.

Hope you enjoy your new cat! Let us know how it goes and post tons of pictures!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Do ask your vet about using the non-adjuvanted rabies vaccine for your cat as it is considered far safer, and there have been no known instances of Vaccine Site Sarcomas (cancer) with this type of injection. The adjuvanted has had. Not a lot, but why risk it? And rabies is the ONE vaccine that is required by law in all states.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
OP has the location listed as the UK so the vaccinations there may be different from the US, especially for rabies. UK members such as Columbine Columbine and mservant mservant would know if vaccinations in the UK are different or not.

Parasite preventative is a good idea even for indoor only cats. Fleas and ticks and such can hitch a ride on your clothes and be brought into the home. The vet will be able to determine the best product to use. Many are given once a month.

Parasite treatment for an existing problem will vary on the type of parasite. Worms are usually taken care of with a few doses of a dewormer. Severe flea infestation may take a few months of treating the cat and the home.

Make sure you adopt from a reputable shelter or rescue and that the cat is given a thorough vet exam before you take her or hm home. Ask for a copy of the cat's medical records you can give them to the vet you plan to use.

Nail trimming is done as needed, much like with your own nails. If they start to get long and catch on things or the sharp points hurt you when the cat paws at you, then it's time to trim.

Neo_23

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would just do the FVRCP vaccine once. A deworm and flea treatment might not be a bad idea either if you don’t know the cat’s history.

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
LTS3 LTS3 is correct, vaccinations are different here in the UK - we do not have any rabies here (being islands, with modern health and quarantine techniques it has been eradicated here), so that vaccine is only given if a pet is being taken overseas, or before coming in from overseas.
Yet another reason to win a lottery and pack up lock, stock and pussycat and head for Scotland!

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
How does the UK know that no wild animals in the woods have rabies?

Mamanyt1953

Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
There have been no reported cases of animals with rabies in the UK since the early 1900s. There have actually been 4 human deaths since 2000, but all were bitten and infected in other countries.

In Japan, the last reported cases in humans OR animals were in 195...2 I think. Along about then.

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I think rabies is pretty thoroughly screened for here in the UK, though being present in the bat population rings a bell. No reported wildlife or human transmission here for a very long time though, thank goodness. I would certainly check the cat you adopt has had the regular Feline Herpes virus, Feline Leukeamia virus, Calcivirus, and infectious enteritis vaccination before you pick them up. The starter vaccination involves two vacinations spaced about two weeks apart and then as long as you keep up with the annual booster it is one each year. Unless travelling with your cat abroad no other vaccinations are necessary.
Also make sure the cat or kitten has been treated for any possible worm infestation, and flea treatment. It is best to check the worming treatment has covered tape worm as well as round worm as you do not want to find your new family addition eating your out of house and home and still not thriving (they can be infected with tape worm if they have had a flea infestation and ingested an affected flea). Generally, if you are keeping your cat indoors only then you do not need to keep up a continuous treatment of flea and or tick treatments but even if out only occasionally then you will need to do this. That said, most rescues here in the UK only adopt out to people who will let the cats out in to a safe garden so I suspect you will need to keep this up - the regularity depends on the brand. Not all flea treatments work for ticks as well so make sure you have something that covers both. I know many people will buy on line but for flea / tick / worm treatments I think the makes you get through the vet are better. You can also make sure you know the right dose for the weight of your cat or kitten.
As others have said, the claw clipping is an individual preference, and the growth rate and hardness varies between cats too. I usually trim Mouse's claws every 3 to 4 weeks. If this is your first cat you might want to get the vet to show you how to approach the clipping, and or watch some videos on YouTube or similar to make sure you are doing it correctly and don't cut in to the quick of the 'nail' (which would be like cutting in to the quick of your own nails - sore).

Good luck with bringing a furry feline in to your home. I'm looking forward to hearing how things progress.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

pyjamaviking

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you all so much for your help! :)

Roxy is five, and I will be getting her vet records! She's not a shelter cat, as such. I'm rehoming her through the Blue Cross, as her owners are moving abroad. Until she comes to me she will live with them. She is used to outdoor access and the charity encouraged this. They recommended a cat flap, as she's using an open window at the moment. They mentioned she needs vaccinations every year for the rest of her life.

I'll be sure to check she's had those vaccinations, and find out when she was last wormed etc. What else would be useful to ask?

mservant

The Mouse servant
Veteran
Purraise
I agree, knowing what food she likes and is used to is always a good idea as it can both help her settle in to her new home and avoid any digestive system upsets which can happen with sudden dietary changes. If you do decide to change her food at a later date do it gradually and don't buy in bulk (if it is regected then you end up wasting a fortune).

Also check if she is used to a litter tray indoors, and if so what litter she likes or is used to as this will also help with her transition. Knowing if she is used to a particular type of tray - open, covered, with a door etc is also a good idea. Cats are not known for their love of change and anything you can do to help her feel safe will help her. Her current owners might even be happy for you to bring along some of her things too (will have her scent and theirs on which she will like).

If she has had flea and worm treatments at home and not on vet records make sure you know when she had them so that you keep her covered but not overdosed.