Preterm loss. Support and advise?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Semicrazycatlady99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Have you tried the mirical nipple? A syringe or eyedropper would be what i would try if that doesnt work.
Unfortunately I don’t have a miracle nipple. I have heard of it but haven’t been able to get hold of one. I do have multiple nipples sizes and different size syringes that I can try.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
The fact Babe is fighting you tells me she has energy which is excelent. Moms molk could be drying up but hard to tell. Offer Babe an eyedropper rubbed with moms scent she probaby doesnt recognise it as food.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Since she has lost more weight it is time to supplement at least 2-3 times a day. I suggest a syringe rather than bottle, but if you want to try different nipples you can. Maybe there is one more like mom’s that she will take. She definitely needs supplementing now.

My best guess is mom is not producing as much milk these days.

Semicrazycatlady99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Since she has lost more weight it is time to supplement at least 2-3 times a day. I suggest a syringe rather than bottle, but if you want to try different nipples you can. Maybe there is one more like mom’s that she will take. She definitely needs supplementing now.

My best guess is mom is not producing as much milk these days.
Okay. Will do first thing in the morning. Poppy just nursed for about 10 minutes. Baby is now asleep. I’ll start feeding first thing in the morning.
I just had a proper look at Poppy’s nipples. Are you able to help? It doesn’t look like the horror pictures online but could it be mastitis or does it just looks like baby’s favourite nipple? The darker nipple is the one baby just nursed on and the one is chooses 9/10 times. The second photo is just a comparison to her other ones. The one that’s darker doesn’t feel hot or hard. It doesn’t seem to be hurting her. I can take her in as an emergency tomorrow if need be but don’t want to look like an idiot :/ does this look like a normal nipple? (I did just realise she’s got a little bit of matting next to it, we’ll try to gently cut it off tomorrow) (I keep saying tomorrow. It’s gone 2am :D)

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It does not look like mastitis, but it never hurts to use bag balm or coconut oil on the nipples to soothe any chapping from over use. Neither bag balm nor coconut oil is toxic.

It also helps to trim the very tips of the kitten’s claws so that she scratches mom’s belly less. Keep them trimmed.

Let us know how the supplementing goes.

Semicrazycatlady99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It does not look like mastitis, but it never hurts to use bag balm or coconut oil on the nipples to soothe any chapping from over use. Neither bag balm nor coconut oil is toxic.

It also helps to trim the very tips of the kitten’s claws so that she scratches mom’s belly less. Keep them trimmed.

Let us know how the supplementing goes.
Great thank you! That’s very reassuring on Poppy’s nipples. I’ll give coconut oil a go since we have some already.
I’ve done one feed this morning. Baby was definitely hungry. I put Poppy away since baby was crying and meowing loads, she wouldn’t let me hold it without trying to stick her face between my hand and the baby.
I prepared a bottle with a different size teat and a syringe. The bottle was a fail. The syringe was a hit. I used a 10ml syringe and little nugget emptied it all. It was a little messy since I’ve never done it before and little one was super excited about food. I gave it a break to catch her breathe every few seconds. Once all 10ml was gone little one took 2 big burps and then sat on the bed a little confused as if to say “well that’s a new way to eat” :D. I kept an eye on her for a few more minutes to make sure everything was fine. She started making biscuits so I popped her back in the box and let Poppy back in. I did try to do kitty potty and baby did have a tiny wee but I suppose Poppy will still take care of it anyway.
So far as good. I’ll offer another feed this afternoon and then another before my bedtime so around 10-11pm. I’ll closely monitor the baby’s weight twice a day for the next week or so.
What’s the earliest safe time to start weaning? Some places say 4 weeks, some places 6 weeks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Happy to hear she took 10mLs — that’s fantastic! She should start putting on weight soon. You can add additional feedings if you think she wants/needs it. Go day by day. Clearly, Poppy’s milk is waning, bless her heart.

You can try weaning at 5 weeks. I say try because even that may take awhile. First offer soft food on your finger to see if she will lick it. Once she will, you can show her the food on a flat plate. Kittens get messy when they first start weaning, and their first foods need to be mushy with formula mixed in.

Make sure she has her baby teeth before you begin. Here is a helpful video:

And here is a helpful video for potty training when the time comes:

Semicrazycatlady99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Happy to hear she took 10mLs — that’s fantastic! She should start putting on weight soon. You can add additional feedings if you think she wants/needs it. Go day by day. Clearly, Poppy’s milk is waning, bless her heart.

You can try weaning at 5 weeks. I say try because even that may take awhile. First offer soft food on your finger to see if she will lick it. Once she will, you can show her the food on a flat plate. Kittens get messy when they first start weaning, and their first foods need to be mushy with formula mixed in.

Make sure she has her baby teeth before you begin. Here is a helpful video:

And here is a helpful video for potty training when the time comes:

Thank you! This is very helpful! The kitten lady has been my saviour through all of this (and ofcourse you guys here on the forum ❤)
Second feed went well too. Baby was super excited. I tried putting a test on the syringe and that seems to be the best way. Still having something to hold onto in her mouth but easy milk flow. Again, went from a crying loud baby to a big burp and milk drunk ready to sleep ❤
Poppy is still offering cuddles and cleaning services. Baby is still searching for a nipple as soon as mama lays down but atleast I know she had a proper meal, if she gets some extra from Poppy then that’s a lovely bonus.
I’ll give some more updates soon, ok the weight and how feeds are coming along.
I can definitely wait til 5 weeks or longer. Adding another responsibility of feeding the baby during the day won’t be easy but with how fast that milk is disappearing it shouldn’t take me too long (I’m thinking of the kids of course as they can’t be there while I feed, they’re way too excited).
thank you again for your kind advice and help! ❤

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Again, went from a crying loud baby to a big burp and milk drunk ready to sleep ❤
I'm so happy she is eating. Seems like she is eating very well lol

I'm extremely happy how things are going for Poppy and the baby. You are doing such a great job with them. Can't wait for more updates and pictures whenever you provide them it melts my heart a little more each time.. here soon my heart is going to be a puddle of goo (its just about there now with how everything is going) lol
Keep up the great work. You are amazing.

IndyJones

Adopt don't shop.
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how old your kids are but if they are older (13+) you could have them help with Babe if they know how to properly handle her. Its's a great way to prepair older ones for the responsability of parenting.

Semicrazycatlady99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure how old your kids are but if they are older (13+) you could have them help with Babe if they know how to properly handle her. Its's a great way to prepair older ones for the responsability of parenting.
Hiya! Oh no my kids are 6 and under. The 6 year old can just about sit still and hold the baby for a few seconds. But the little one starts to squeal with excitement and stomp (I mean I get it, the kitten is adorable) :D

Semicrazycatlady99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone! Happy update! Little baby is at about 320g as of this morning! That’s over 20g in 24hrs! (The weighing scales was between 316-326 so I think 320 is a good average. This baby is too wriggly. I always have to estimate). I know she needs to catch up now so I was expecting less of a different but 20g in one day is beyond successful.
The kitten had 3 feeds yesterday, 10ml each. This morning we had a lovely feed. I offered a 10ml syringe with a teat. Immediately we had a good latch and even ear wriggles!!! A massive improvement from yesterday! Not a single drop was wasted. Once the 10ml was done, baby was still crying and climbing back on my leg sniffing for more. I offered another 10ml syringe thinking she’ll take maybe 2-3ml. Nope. Another 10ml gone. It was gone in seconds. She had a good latch and the syringe was cooperating with a smooth flow. Gone in seconds. She was still unhappy when it finished but I figured that’s enough for her little tummy. She cleaned up her paws, burped and I popped her back in the box. Happy baby, happy mama (since baby is no longer angrily crying) and happy me ❤
(These are photos from yesterday. This morning one eye opened completely but she looks so so silly I’ll wait til both are open :D)

Attachments

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I just absolutely love her!!! Thank you for the amazing updates you provide.
You are really doing a great job with her and Poppy. Lol she is a hungry little girl... gah she is so stinkin cute. I'm glad she is gaining so well with the supplemental feedings.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Keep the eyes clean by wiping with a warm, damp soft cloth. There may be dried crust that will sort of “glue” an eye shut. Never force, but you can soften the area with the warm, damp cloth. At 3 weeks both her eyes should be open.

Somebody was starving! Such a little piggy! I am just thrilled that she is latching and eating like a champ and gaining weight. This is all music to my ears. I’m thinking you should feed her every 4 hours for now.

She’s so adorable!

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Somebody was starving! Such a little piggy! I am just thrilled that she is latching and eating like a champ and gaining weight. This is all music to my ears. I’m thinking you should feed her every 4 hours for now.

She’s so adorable!
I was thinking the same thing but I didn't wanna call her a little piggy. She is a little lady Hahaha She is the most adorable little thing so very happy with how well she is eating and gaining.

Semicrazycatlady99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Keep the eyes clean by wiping with a warm, damp soft cloth. There may be dried crust that will sort of “glue” an eye shut. Never force, but you can soften the area with the warm, damp cloth. At 3 weeks both her eyes should be open.

She’s so adorable!
Funnily enough when I went upstairs 10 minutes ago both eyes were open! So since this morning she managed to get her other eye fully open too. We’ve got 2 big eyeballs. I’ll try get some pics later or tomorrow morning since the lighting isn’t great right now. She just had another 15ml and a big wee in a paper towel. Poppy then came in and gave her a good clean as well ❤ I’ll weigh her again before bedtime to see what’s changed during the day but I can already feel a difference when holding her. She’s got a nice round belly compared to how empty it felt just 2 days ago. She’s waddling around the room happily. I’m also glad that Poppy isn’t bothered at all. She happily goes for a 10 minute break downstairs to say hello to our other pets and see what our other cat has in the food bowl :D when she comes back she goes straight to her baby and purrs. I was worried she might not be so happy about the extra feeding or that the smell of the milk might annoy her but she seems completely unbothered ❤

Semicrazycatlady99

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was thinking the same thing but I didn't wanna call her a little piggy. She is a little lady Hahaha She is the most adorable little thing so very happy with how well she is eating and gaining.
Oh she’s definitely a little piggy! As soon as I set her up on the towel to feed she knows what’s coming and goes crazy! That syringe stands no chance 😁

heatherwillard0614

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Oh she’s definitely a little piggy! As soon as I set her up on the towel to feed she knows what’s coming and goes crazy! That syringe stands no chance 😁
Noooooo..... lol she is a proper little lady hahaha... all jokes aside I'm really happy she is taking the feelings so well and gaining the weight. She is the cutest little thing.