Pressure Cookers, anyone use them?

stewball

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Pulled chicken is essentially chicken that was thoroughly cooked and then completely shredded. Usually it's pretty much fall-off-the-bone tender and you simply take the meat and, using two forks or even your hands, shred it, Pork is often shredded, thrown into a good BBQ sauce and then put into sandwiches. I do it with beef (there's a recipe in the Recipe Exchange for Shredded BBQ Beef that is so good and it's done in the oven). And I've done it with chicken, too.

You could use a whole chicken (about 4 pounds or so) in your slow cooker. If you have about 4 pounds of chicken pieces, that will work, too. Add about 2 cups of chicken broth or 1 cup white wine and 1 cup water and whatever seasonings you want (pepper, cumin, etc, whatever you have on hand). I'd start out on HIGH for about 30 minutes to an hour or so, then switch over to LOW for about 5-6 hours. I will say that the newer slow cookers seem to cook much faster than the older ones. Keep it covered at all times; every time you remove the lid, the temp drops and then it takes a while for it to come back up again. You'll know when it's done; it will come away from the bone and probably fall apart when you take it out of the slow cooker. Let it rest for about ten minutes or so, then....using the two forks or your hands, just start pulling the meat apart. It should shred easily for you.

Add about 2 cups of whatever sauce you're using (and if you don't want to make your own BBQ sauce and if you can find a good bottled or canned BBQ sauce where you live, that will work, too. Use the whole bottle or can of sauce; don't skimp; I'm thinking you'll need about two cups or so. Add more if you need more.). Throw the shredded chicken with the sauce back into the slow cooker for about 30 minutes or so, just long enough to get it all warmed back up. 

Get rid of the skin and fat or use it with the bones for a good broth, which you can also do in your slow cooker. I think you and I have talked about stewing chicken and making broth

Throw the meat into some sandwich buns and have at it.

I usually serve a creamy cole slaw with shredded anything. Some people like to top their shredded meat with the coleslaw; others prefer it on the side. 

If you feel like making your own BBQ sauce, here's the recipe for the one with the pulled pork. Even if you don't eat pork, you could still use that sauce. Recipe is also found in the Recipe Exchange: http://www.thecatsite.com/t/238187/crock-pot-slow-cooker#post_3182832

Homemade BBQ Sauce:

2-1/2 cups ketchup
1 cup finely chopped onion
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
3 Tbsp. bottled Pickapeppa Sauce or Worcestershire sauce (omit if you don't have it where you live)
3 Tbsp. cider vinegar (regular vinegar will work fine)
3 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce

Combine all ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Use immediately or let it cool. Chill up to 3 days. Makes 3-1/2 cups of sauce.
Thank you very much Pam. Surprisingly enough we do get woucestershire sauce here!