Prescriptions: Generic vs. Name

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

essayons89

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a list I'm putting together of things to ask the doctor. I also think a second, and perhaps, a third opinion is in order.

I'm going to plan on getting another colonoscopy this summer but the first thing I need to do is straighten out my meds. I believe it's time to go on something stronger. I'm going to call my pharmacy get prices for the medications (with my insurance) so I know how much I'll need to set aside every month or two.

Miralax...gotta love it!

catnurse22

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I know that generics are supposed to be the exact same formula, but I've had some bad experiences with generics. I prefer generics simply because of the price, but I take it on a medication by medication basis. I had some really bad emotional side effects to a generic once, which I didn't have on the "real" thing.

firedancer722

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It seems the debate is still out on whether or not generic drugs are actually less effective than name brands. I'd say for most people and most drugs, the effects are the same regardless of name brand or generic; however, I know from personal experience that my endocrinologist marks "brand name medically necessary" on my Rx for Synthroid. Not sure if that's because the generic isn't as good, or if it's because she gets a kickback for prescribing the name brand. Either way, it works and my insurance covers most of it, so I am lucky in that regard.

strange_wings

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by firedancer722

I know from personal experience that my endocrinologist marks "brand name medically necessary" on my Rx for Synthroid. Not sure if that's because the generic isn't as good, or if it's because she gets a kickback for prescribing the name brand.
That's because if the pharmacy messed up and gave you generic, now, it could make you sick. Once you go on a particular thyroid med it's not recommended that you switch around.
I don't know about other peoples pharmacies, but all the ones I've use occasionally get the same generics but from different labs. Even that little of a switch could be a problem for someone with thyroid problems.

forensic

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by firedancer722

It seems the debate is still out on whether or not generic drugs are actually less effective than name brands. I'd say for most people and most drugs, the effects are the same regardless of name brand or generic; however, I know from personal experience that my endocrinologist marks "brand name medically necessary" on my Rx for Synthroid. Not sure if that's because the generic isn't as good, or if it's because she gets a kickback for prescribing the name brand. Either way, it works and my insurance covers most of it, so I am lucky in that regard.
Some of the generics for synthroid have different dosing schemes, changes can be difficult and possibly have bad effects...