Prescription probiotics vs. OTC?

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hello,

I read the thread regarding probiotics but I didn't see this particular issue addressed.

I recently posted about my cat with stinky stools. The stink has gone away without a change in diet; I think she was just getting used to the new food, however I do still plan to switch her to a higher protein food (gradually).

The issue is with my other cat. I believe she has IBS or GERD because she looks like she doesn't feel good after eating. She's had all the bloodwork done at the vet and it was all negative. I have been thinking of switching both of the kitties to probiotics. I called the vet about the GERD medication and mentioned probiotics. It was then that I found that there is a prescription probiotic for cats.

What I am wondering is whether I should go with the prescription one or OTC. The main issue is cost; a 30 day supply of the prescription one is $36/month, and the OTC one is $16.99 for a 4 oz jar. The dosing is 1/4 tsp a day, and so this one would be much less expensive.

This OTC one is "Nature Vet". It does have prebiotics and probiotics, and I read on the probiotic thread here that prebiotics are not good for some reason.

Can anyone tell me if I should go for the prescription one, or with an OTC one? I will get another brand of OTC if the prebiotics are not good for her.

Thanks!

PS Not sure how to address the GERD issue because she had a very bad experience with a vet and she absolutely will not let me pill her or give her anything in a syringe; also she appears to have problems with all food; I have moved her diet around for the past 6 months and she doesn't seem to tolerate any food very well.

Last edited:

sugarcatmom

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Puddertatten  

The issue is with my other cat. I believe she has IBS or GERD because she looks like she doesn't feel good after eating.
What sort of symptoms does she have? What food is she eating?

I have been thinking of switching both of the kitties to probiotics. I called the vet about the GERD medication and mentioned probiotics. It was then that I found that there is a prescription probiotic for cats.
Certainly wouldn't hurt to try them both on probiotics. What is the "prescription" probiotic you refer to? Would it happen to be FortiFlora? If so, there are much better (and cheaper) options available, doesn't even have to be specifically for pets. Many of the human probiotics you'll find in a health food store (usually in the refrigerator section) are more potent and better quality. I like Natural Factor's Ultimate Multi, or MegaFood's MegaFlora, but basically anything with a wide variety of probiotic strains, a high number of CFUs (in the billions), and preferably non-dairy. You only need a small pinch of the capsule 2 or 3 times a day in some wet food. I roughly dose around 2-3 billion CFUs per meal when one of my cats is having GI issues.

What is the GERD medication you mention? Do you mean something like Pepcid AC, or maybe Reglan (Metoclopramide)?

This OTC one is "Nature Vet". It does have prebiotics and probiotics,
Are you talking about this NaturVet product?: Digestive Enzymes with Prebiotics & Probiotics   It's actually a little different than just a probiotic because of the digestive enzymes. You could certainly give it a try to see if your kitty would benefit from some extra help digesting her food. Another good product is ProZyme. I'd still want to find a food that agrees with her better though.
also she appears to have problems with all food; I have moved her diet around for the past 6 months and she doesn't seem to tolerate any food very well.
What foods have you tried?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

puddertatten

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi everyone, thank you for the input. There has been a death in the family and I'm just not feeling like I can concentrate enough to make a coherent reply. Thank you again for all your input; I hope all is going to go well with Emily (stinky stools) and Ashley (looks sick after eating, been going on quite a few months; vet checked her and there is nothing wrong in her blood, urine etc.) Hopefully I will be feeling better soon and able to respond better.