Preparing to adopt a cat, advice needed!

cassafrass710

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi fellow cat lovers!

I'm starting the process of adopting a kitty as an Emotional Support Animal in the next few months to help with my anxiety disorder and depression. I grew up with cats, but this will be the first that I can really call my own. I'm very excited and I have a couple cats at local shelters in mind, but I also have a few worries that I was hoping I might be able to get some help with.

1. All of the research I've been doing says that the cat should be given her own room to start adjusting to her new surroundings. Unfortunately, I don't have a room in my apartment that could be completely dedicated to her. I live in an apartment with 2 other ladies so each of the bedrooms are occupied, the bathroom isn't an option, and we don't have any kind of closet large enough for this purpose. Would it be okay if I used my bedroom, which I'm in a pretty fair amount of time including sleeping?

2. I'm concerned about how much of the day I'm out of my apartment. I'm a theatre student so I have classes during the day and rehearsals at night. I'm around most of the day on weekends, but much more sparingly during the week. I leave my apartment every morning at 10:45 (so I could socialize with her before then), would be back from 12:30-1:45 on Tuesdays and Thursdays (but not Mondays, Wednesdays, or Fridays), back at 5:15 to feed the cat, and then at rehearsal from 6-10. This could totally change once I get more information about what the rehearsal schedule for my show is going to look like (I won't have to be there every night or even for the whole night), but I'm afraid that won't be enough time for her to bond with me. My roommates are also involved with plays so they'll be out of the apartment fairly often as well. I'm not always in a play so my schedule is not nearly this busy most of the time, but is it a bad idea to bring a kitty home when I've got such a hectic schedule?

Thank you guys for any help! I love cats so much and am so excited to have one of my own, I just have some worries.  Again, thank you!

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Your bedroom sounds like a great place for kitty. Just make sure she has a few things to call her own. And it would be a nice place to get the cat used to your scent. I would just make sure to not overwhelm the cat on the first day and let her have some quiet and time to adjust. Personally, I think that your schedule seems fine for kitty. It'll give her a chance to get used to her new life. In my opinion, cats seem pretty content with food, water, a clean litter box, a warm place to sleep, and a window. I'm not saying that kitties don't need love, but they'll definitely appreciate whatever you can give. Also beats a cage at the shelter. Good luck!!!

ruaryx

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You're welcome. I liked living with roommates because my cat never had to be home alone. Even if everyone was really busy, there will hopefully be at least one person home at a time. When kitty gets used to her new home, and if your roomies are okay with it, you can let her out to hang out with them. Also, busy student schedules are temporary. If you're worried about spending time with your cat, you'll eventually have more freedom in a later time.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassafrass710

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My roommates are very much okay with it. They're almost as excited as I am. I definitely appreciate that part of living with roommates too.

catpack

TCS Veteran
Kitten
Purraise
I would make you you talk with the shelter regarding your possible schedule. I would be more inclined to tell you that a slightly more independent, though still affectionate cat, is going to be a better fit for you. On a whole, I would also be more inclined to steer you towards an adult female as they tend to be ok with being an only cat and are typically more independent, yet are often very affectionate with their owners, though this certainly isn't always the case.

Spend time with each cat and get to get to know their personalities. If at all possible, visit with them on more than one occasion before making a selection.

Good luck and be sure to come back and introduce your new addition!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

cassafrass710

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great advice! I was already looking for an adult female, hopefully in the 6-12 range since I think adopting older cats is really important. There are a couple kitties listed on my local humane society's website listed under a category that I think would fit really well. They have a rating system to try to fit cats with the best owners and the description of the category I've been looking at states "I like attention, but I also like my solitude." Hopefully I'll be able to get down to the shelter this weekend and check them out!

caitini

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi Cassafrass710, I also adopted my first cat to help with my anxiety and depression.  One piece of advice I would give is to be patient with your cat's affection. I picked Fuzzy based on his photos, I just fell in love with him on sight, but it turned out he was incredibly shy and it took over two months for him to trust me enough to cuddle. He's now super affectionate (in fact, kind of needy!) and I don't regret my choice at all, but during those 2+ months I think my mental health took a bit of a knock because I felt that on top of everything else I was being rejected by my own cat.  Be patient, treat kitty gently and let her come to you in her own time - which she will - and it will be an incredibly rewarding experience. Don't expect too much from her too soon; know that she will learn to love and trust you when she's ready.

The wait is so so worth it in the end. I couldn't live without him now.