Preparing For Biscuit's Kittens

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thanks again to all online for you advice and support.
Sarthur2 Sarthur2 No 1 kitten's back legs look vastly improved by themselves - if I had not seen her last night, I probably wouldn't have noticed . I'll try and post a video tomorrow, for a second opinion. I also gave Biscuit some cat milk in the nest, on your suggestion, and she really did appreciated it.
All kittens appear to be suckling well and Biscuit is licking them and appears to have figured out not to sit on them. Biscuit ate two sachets of wet food, some milk and a few biscuits .
I've managed to remove most of the damp news paper and kittens now on a clean fleece blanket, seems easy for the kittens to move on, as they were sliding on the newspaper .
I will move the family to a different box tomorrow, as the one Biscuit is in she can't stretch out fully . I will also try and weigh them later.

Early days but good so far.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like both you and Biscuit have done a superb job! Good to hear all is well with mom and kittens.

The room should be 78 degrees F. or 25.5 C.

The bigger box will be better.

Continue to give mom the cat milk. I’m assuming it has calcium in it. She needs extra calcium while nursing.

If the kitten’s legs have an issue just let me know!

Get some rest! :)

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
So just for those waiting for kittens these are my observations with Biscuit.
Very sleepy for last 5 days , saw quite a loss of appetite at around day 60, but then increased again. Wanted regular cuddles on the sofa by my side for the last few days. Was eating wet food fairly keenly on day of birth (Day 65 - long story but know almost certainly that she mated night 29th December.)
On day of birth on real changes in behaviour were that she didn't try and scratch the furniture, didn't ask for a game, entered the nest box about 3 times (little interest in it prior to that and has always yowled to go in cupboards). In the last couple of hours she was clearly uncomfortable and fidgety in her sleep. Then in the evening entered the box and ran after to me a shouted at me when I tried to leave to get something from upstairs. In nest box for birth about 9 pm and clear contractions from 9.30 pm, water broke 10.30pm. First kittens foot 10.50pm and kitten 11pm. 11.35 contractions clearly resume and 11.33 number 2 arrived. 12.40am more contractions and next 1.10am next kitten then 1.30am more contractions and 4th kitten arrived 1.52am.

Prior to birth I saw little or no bum licking or evidence of mucus.

Weight on day 1 (3.30 pm after all had been apparently suckling well)
1. Calico 108 g
2. Ginger less markings 116 g
3. Ginger more marking 108 g
4 Black and white 123 g

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for posting this! I know Sadie must be getting close so to read about other cats behaviour before/during labour is helpful as I try and watch for any indications of labour.
:)

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Mum left nest earlier for a wee and I moved kittens into new box. All seems fine although not sure it No 3 is suckling as much or pushing in as much as the two bigger ones

I went to bed a short while ago (have left room for several hours earlier) . Biscuit came up to my room to find me and wanting a fuss. We walked back down together and then she just sat on the floor for a couple of minutes rather than going back to the kittens. When one mewed she then went to them. She has settled with them now and all quiet. Is that normal mum sitting outside the nest? She has been eating and drinking cat milk and seems fine otherwise.
As you can tell I'm a bit of a worrier, and this is such a great resource of super experienced people.

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Totally normal! Mom just needed a break :)
She went back when one needed her, she’s doing a great job.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you SAKitty SAKitty . Hope the beautiful Sadie is doing well.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Biscuit been eating less food than yesterday, but seems OK otherwise. To be on safe side I gave her 36 mL KMR which she lapped up. Then a couple hours later ate half a sachet of wet kitten food with enthusiasm. She has used the litter tray and both no 1 and 2 , and all seems fine in that respect.

Monday 5th (3.30pm) to Tuesday 6th (5.30pm)
1. 108g to 107g*
2. 116g to 118g
3. 108g to 113g
4 123g to 128g

* this I'm surprised about as she appears to be eating well, is lively and has little round tummy. Wondering if first weight was an error - double checked today's weight .

She is the one with some issue with back legs - Sarthur2 Sarthur2 I've have checked out some of your previous post and links about swimmers legs, will post some photos and be in touch tomorrow . You may be able to see her legs in the above photos - but I'll get better ones.

Thanks again for all your support.

Julesif

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
So cute! Thanks for posting all the info about her labor and behaviors before it. The homeless, pregnant cat we’ve adopted isn’t showing any of the typical pre-birth signs so it’s nice to hear that all cats are different.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Julesif Julesif all the best with your cat and what a wonderful thing to do taking her in.

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Day 2 to 3 (7 March)
1. Calico 107g to 121g (this one I was most concerned about because she didn't appear to gain weight the day before, thought her legs put her at a disadvantage)
2. Ginger less markings 118g to 138g (was also a bit concerned about this one yesterday as had only gained 2g previously
3. Ginger more markings 113g to 125g
4. B&W 128g to 152g

Biscuit definitely was well yesterday in that she didn't eat a lot and didn't seem herself (at one point thought she may have been breathing rapidly for a short while) . After some Kmr yesterday afternoon she is much better , talking to me when off the nest, using her scratching post, rubbing against things and eating loads. Gave her a bit more Kmr this morning too.

Sarthur2 Sarthur2
Here is a picture showing her legs, they were right out behind her from the hips when born, but now splayed out like this. I haven't managed to get a video of her moving, but she is moving around using them, and 'swims' though the other kittens to her favourite nipple. What would you advise as first steps and when to start? My initial thought was to very gently encourage legs a bit towards normal position, with a finger either side, as she is feeding and then not move fingers for a little while letting her push against the resistance whilst feeding. I tried it for about 30 seconds earlier and she and Biscuit were absolutely fine about it. Does this sound sensible? I'm total open to your advice. Is it likely she'll be able to walk normally or close to normal? Many thanks - I realise there are a bunch of you on here who must devote a lot of time supporting others and I'm very grateful.
_20180307_180914.JPG

And here is one showing the whole family earlier today
DSC_1273.JPG