Preparing Cats For My Vacation And Behavior Issues

sabca

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My two 3 y/o siblings do not like people other than me in the house. They immediately head under the bed if the doorbell rings and someone enters the house. I very rarely get company except for the housekeeper every two weeks. I am going to be going away on vacation this summer for 2 weeks and will probably be getting a pet sitter to take care of them while I am away. I had to leave them a couple of years ago for a month and they did find, however, they are very clingy to me now especially since my husband passed away a couple of months ago. Any tips on what I can do so they don't fall apart while I am gone? I will set up a meeting with the sitter prior to my vacation. Should I go away for a couple of days before the "big one"? These cats are my life! As it is, the female, Lucy cries for my when she doesn't see me.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is your pet sitter going to drop by daily or live there for three weeks?

I would suggest not washing your sheets/bedding for a week and leaving it with your smell while you are gone. You may even try putting 1 shirt you wore all day in a zip lock bag to be pulled out & placed on/under your bed each week? (I'm not sure if it will help or not.) I am not sure if you can get them used to strangers in just 3 weeks. When you get back you might think about only letting them get treats when people come over (and disconnecting or taping over your door bell.) In time you can have guests toss them their treats. Invite people to stay over for a few days to help them get used to more people being over. *My boys are scared of people wearing shoes like boots or tennis shoes. However if a guest sits down with their shoes off they become braver.

susanm9006

Lola
Top Cat
Purraise
If they were mine I would ask the pet sitter not to try to interact with them unless they come out and seem to want attention from her. Even if they are always hiding the sitter can check to make sure they are eating and using the litterbox, put out food, scoop litter and leave. The cats would be just fine with that for two weeks.

Kieka

Snowshoe Servant
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To the above, I'd add asking the pet sitter the turn on the TV between visits to a nature channel. That way your cats have background noise or sounds and it isn't too quiet. Some cats also enjoy watching TV.

If you don't have a fish tank, getting a small tank (like 5 gallons with a secure lid) can also be a good source of entertainment while you are gone. It may help distract them from you not being home.