Premium Wet & Dry Question

jaycee

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
my cats both drink LOTS of water so i cant justify paying so much for canned food just for the water....

marishka

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by vanillasugar

Here are some articles. You may have seen them before, but I'm linking them because I get the impression you havn't. Please read them, they're very informative!
http://www.littlebigcat.com/?action=...needcannedfood
http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/canned_food.htm
Heh, I personally showed both of those articles to someone at my house the other day. Easy, quick, informative...how I like it

I thought Marishka was getting enough water (and I've been doing everything but chew the wet food for her!), and when I took her to get spayed (the vet had seen her two times in the two months before) the vet said she was dehydrated and needed extra fluids, and gave her even more before she came home. I could have compared how much water she was drinking to the dogs! But she really wasn't taking in enough, even though it looked like it...

Anyway, I rather spend the money on the wet food than risk it in the end. But, I know how you feel...sure costs a lot up front!

renovia

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
how do you know how much water your cat drinks? someone said they know the amount in ounces!!! I see Stoli drinking and he has wet and a little dry, but i want to know if he's drinking enough.....

icklemiss21

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Mine drink plenty of water so I feel fine about feeding them a high end (and high protein) dry, but I would swap to wet if I could get 1. all of them to eat it without throwing up and 2. have them eat something a bit better than Fancy Feast.
So for now, two get a small can of Fancy Feast between them (thats all they will eat) and they get 1/2 cup of Evo each, with the two eating FF naturally eating less dry and the others making up for it

So I think its all in the choice of the kitties, some of the high end dry foods can be almost as expensive as feeding higher end wet

booktigger

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feed my two both high quality wet and dry, but can't afford to feed the fosters high quality, and nor can the rescue. So, I buy high quality dry for them, and they only get a small amount at suppertime. It is very pricey paying for the high quality wet food though, i get my dry relatively cheap, but I am not sure I will be able to afford decent wet food for 3 - although Molly likes to eat the others Whiskas, so I might give her half and half. Pebbles would rather starve than eat Whiskas though, and Ginger loves it but his fur clumps.

momto3cats

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I feed my cats as much wet food as they will eat, and leave high quality (expensive) dry food out for snacking. The wet food is from the grocery store to keep costs down somewhat. Niko, my Siamese, really needs the wet food to prevent UTIs. So, for me, it's a compromise. I would love to feed them all high quality wet food if I could afford it and they would all eat it. As it is, I just read labels carefully and avoid by-products and soy.

yosemite

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Since I started feeding wet, Bijou and Mika both eat less and seem to have more energy. Their coats are beautiful (had many people comment on how soft they were last week when we were at a cottage up north). Bijou was getting pretty "big" on the dry alone. Now he has slimmed down and is very muscular.

The vet (during his visit 3 weeks ago) said his teeth were excellent.

I personally feel better feeding more wet than dry and the cost evens out since they do eat less and get good nutrition.