Premium, Schremium!

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
About 1.5 years ago.

You can notice an increase in sweet almond oils and coconut oils, etc and a decrease in the aromatic oils. Aromatic oils are expensive. Sweet almond oils and coconut oils are not.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by sharky

I am feeding by products but as Pat so sweetly put on another thread ... they are HUMAN grade and happen to be raw( this is my preference)
What, me sweet? Not yesterday
what an icky day. I prefer today

jen

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As far as buying your cats what they like, that is like buyuing your kids McDonalds everyday because they like it. There are good foods and there are "junk" foods. Just like with human food. Some should be eaten regularly and some as a treat. Foods with by-products and loaded with grains and things that a carnivorous animal should not or don't need to be eating are obviously ones that should be avoided. Your cat may seem healthy as far as coat and teeth go but you have no idea what it is doing to the cats insides and there sensitive little systems until the damage is done or the cat gets sick.

So feed what you will, it is a huge debate on which foods truely are the best. There are a lot. And there are also a lot that are highly promoted by vets and on tv which are just awful foods.

My personal rules are no foods with by-products because that is just gross and unhealthy, and if the first two ingredients are grains then I also avoid it. Once again, cats are carnivores, they don't need grains to fill them up, they need meats.

moggiegirl

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

If Nutro and Iams aren't premium, I give up.

I don't believe these premium foods (and I do consider Nutro and Iams premium) are really any different from regular cat food (every healthy cat I've known spent his life on regular foods, and I've known cats on premium food that threw up a lot and had persistent digestive upset). I don't believe feeding humans organic food makes a difference, either... it's just a way for companies to charge more money to people who are willing to pay it.
So many people have so many different opinions about this. I like to eat organic fruits and vegetables in order to avoid eating pesticides. Anyway regarding the topic of pet food, I see pros and cons to a lot of brands. I see holistic brands that list large amounts of fruit which I feel is too much sugar for a cat. I also believe that it is unnatural to feed a cat only muscle meat and rice with vitamin and mineral supplements, rather than including nutrient rich organ meats for essential vitamins and ground bone or perhaps egg shells for calcium. Many of these no by-product foods, if you think about it, the only reason they thrive on these foods is because of the abundant addition of vitamins and minerals that must be added to the food because there are no natural sources of them in the food, such as liver for vitamin A. The main criticisms I have read for by-products is inconsistency of ingredients, plus many people do not like that a by-product is a mystery ingredient, although certain sources are quite nutritious.

This view of mine here is not a popular one, but I like Iams. All the protein in the food is animal based. Iams does not put fruit in their pet food, and the carbohydrate blend that they use in their dry food is scientifically formulated to create steady energy levels and steady glucose levels, not causing a dramatic rise or fall. Iams does not use artificial colors in its food. There is no garlic in Iams. My cats are doing well on Iams. I have chosen the dry Iams multi-cat formula because it's high in protein without being too high in calories for my indoor cats. If I fed my cats Natural Balance, Innova, Felidae, Wellness, my cats would surely gain a lot of weight and I don't like the weight control formulas of dry food that have a reduced level of protein and as a result an increased level of carbs. All carbs are fillers regardless of the source and all dry foods have them.

I do believe it's a good idea to vary your cat's diet. Instead of sticking by only one brand, feed variety(unless your cat has a sensitive stomach) For example, I stick with one dry food, the one that works best for my cats but when it comes to wet, I don't stick to just Iams. Yes I do feed Iams wet but I also feed other wet brands like Nutro, Pet Gold, Purina pro-plan(a little junky I know but my cats love it), I have fed Merrick, Natural Balance, Avoderm. Unfortunately one of my cats has been turning up her nose at certain wet foods like Nutro, Natural Balance and Avoderm. She likes Iams and Purina Pro-Plan better. I also believe I'm contributing to the quality of their diet by only buying high quality treats and I don't buy Friskies or Pounce, I feed freeze dried meat from Halo Live a Littles and Wild Side Salmon and I never overlook the value of fresh cooked poultry as being superior to the commercial cat treats available in grocery stores.

You see, everyone has their feeding rules and regulations and opinions about feeding their own cats. Don't let anyone make you feel wrong, just because you might feed something that's not popular with other cat lovers. It's important that you monitor how your cats respond to what you're feeding and how they're doing on it and if something is not going right then it's time for a change. If my cats ever got sick on Iams, instead of doing well on it, like they are now, I would change the food immediately. As you can see, I believe that the food I am feeding my cats, Iams, is the most unpopular cat food on all cat forums on the internet and I wonder if it seems, I'm a bad girl because I don't follow the Innova Evo crowd. But I disagree with a lot of people on this because my personal belief is that Iams is a good food, not for every cat, but for mine, yes.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
As far as buying your cats what they like, that is like buyuing your kids McDonalds everyday because they like it.
There in lies the problem. You can MAKE your kid eat differently because being a human and of "complex" thinking a human will eat other foods. Some cats will out right REFUSE to eat certain things. I for one am not going to let my cat starve because I am determined to feed him a certain food. My cat so far eats basically anything, but has turned his nose up to two things. He started throwing up the Nature's Variety RAW that I was feeding him [the Venison Diet]. He then stopped eating it all together after about a day of him eating some and then throwing up over it. I bought the lamb diet instead, he wouldn't touch it. I mixed z/d with it and all he would do was lick the z/d off. He also refused to eat the cod pate I bought him. He loves the trout, but won't touch the salmon or cod. I originally didn't believe people when they told me their cats wouldn't eat certain foods, I thought surely if you left it out long enough and only fed that long enough the cat would eat it. No way. Napolean went for a week just licking z/d off the raw, and because the pate is so spendy I only wasted two packets on him. So it isn't even CLOSE to being like it is with people. Cats have no problems not eating what they don't like.

Your cat may seem healthy as far as coat and teeth go but you have no idea what it is doing to the cats insides and there sensitive little systems until the damage is done or the cat gets sick.
There again, you're wrong. If your pets body was unhealthy their fur would begin to lack luster, if something was going wrong your pet would not be feeling well period. Plus if your pet goes to the vet as directed, the vet can confirm your pet is healthy. My dog is 100% healthy on the t/d. I work in a vet clinic so I have access to drawing her blood as many times as I want and checking things out. There is no real placebo test support saying that your cat is going to get sick eating fancy feast his whole life. It's great that you don't believe in some foods, but there is no such thing as saying that someone's cat died because it was on Iams instead of RAW, or Pedigree instead of Canidae. There is no test saying your pet is going to live any longer than mine, or live any healthier. There again you repeat your statement because you have no way of knowing whether your pet is anymore, or any less healthy, just because the outside appears to be.

I also have to admit, I didn't get into researching foods until I got my horse, and my dog for 7 years of her life [from 6months to age 7] was on Pedigree dog food. She never had ANY health issues, no urinary problems, no kidney issues, never been sick, never been hospitalized. When she was 7 we switched her to Nutro lamb and rice because she started getting itchy on pedigree [probably an allergy to one of their amazing ingredients woo]. She's now on Exclusive [she's 9 years old]. I had a senior panel run on her last year in December and everything came back perfect, no liver issues etc, no signs of cushings or diabetes.

I agree feeding the best is a good idea, but there's still nothing wrong with feeding what works for your pet, or even for the most part your budget and time, because many people don't have the money to buy foods like Innova, or the time to prepare homemade ones.

pat

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well this may not be popular either, but if you ask for our opinions as to what to feed, and what we feel are the better brands, we are going to tell you

I always try to explain why/how I came to my opinions, but ultimately you must weigh the information for yourself.

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by emmylou

If Nutro and Iams aren't premium, I give up.

I don't believe these premium foods (and I do consider Nutro and Iams premium) are really any different from regular cat food (every healthy cat I've known spent his life on regular foods, and I've known cats on premium food that threw up a lot and had persistent digestive upset). I don't believe feeding humans organic food makes a difference, either... it's just a way for companies to charge more money to people who are willing to pay it.
Comparing different cat foods to normal people food/organic food is nonsense. Two people can eat exactly the same diet when one buys 'regular' food and the other organic. If you take two cats however, one on a food which has a low meat/high grain percentage and another one on a food with a high meat percentage, that's an entirely different thing. Even more when you would compare between kibble or a decent brand of canned, or kibble and raw (100% meat)

mimosa

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

There again, you're wrong. If your pets body was unhealthy their fur wouldn't be healthy either, especially since most cats who become sick will usually stop grooming anyways.
Unless the cat isn't sick yet. I truly believe fluid intake is a big factor with struvite, and there is research which supports this. But most cats seem to do fine on a dry diet, on some will continue to do so for a long time, but others will get sick suddenly, and then it is too late, no matter how great the cat looked before.

Also my cats looked absolutely great when I fed them RC kibble, other people and the vet told me so, but they look even better now they are fed raw (which the same people have confirmed). In retrospect it is just the way you look at a cat, if you don't know any better a cat will look great although it could look (and probably be/feel) a lot better if only you tried something different. You won't know unless you try. After everything I tried I was told we would just have to live with Mimosa's hairballs and Ernesto's begging for food, but we didn't have to after all.

If something doesn't work after you've given it some time, like TS and the Nutro, then it is common sense to switch back.

skizzorhand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Originally Posted by andrewweilin

Howdy Gang,

Two months ago I switched my kittens from IAMS to Nutro because so many people everywhere sing its praises as being a superior product. However, I noticed that my kittens would have more frequent cases of loose stools, dirty bums, and smelly poo!

I just switched them back to IAMS a week and a half ago and the litterbox smells so much cleaner and the stools are much firmer.

Q: Shouldn't this be a much better indicator of what food to give my cats rather than how "premium" it is?
From what I know about IAMS is refering to dogs, not sure if it's the same for cats. When a dog has been eating IAMS and is switched to any other brand of food it takes a very long time for their body to adjust. There is something in IAMS that has caused problems like what you've described in dogs too.
Many years ago IAMS and Eukanuba had better ingredients than they do now days.
I personally have been fedding my dogs Solid Gold for years and my cats are on Solid Gold Katz-n-Flocken kibble and the 2 different flavored canned foods.
There are alot of high quality foods out there, Solid Gold is just my choice.

skizzorhand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Here is a very good web site that will tell you exactly what each ingredient really is in your pets food.
And keep in mind that the first 4 ingredients that you see on a bag or can of food is what is mostly in the food.
You decide for yourself what type of ingredients you'd like to see on the bag or can food you are about to put infront of your fur kids.

http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spri...ngredients.htm

katiemae1277

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well I feed both my cats and my dogs Chicken Soup foods, and the kitties get a dinner of Meow Mix wet every evening. I just switched to Chicken Soup, and I have noticed a little stinkiness in the litter box, but I'm not sure if its because of the meow mix (which I also just started feeding) or chicken soup
I like to feed my cats a better food due to their FeLV postive status, but with 4 cats, and I maybe adding more, I cannot afford to spend $30+ on an 18 lbs bag of food, Chicken soup is priced right for me, but if its making the kitties stinky I may change again, I have used Nutro in the past, but it is pricey plus I had the same problem of stinkiness. I had a kitty that had chronic diarrhea and Iams was the ONLY thing that helped, so that is what I fed him
I've also fed Science Diet in the past and had no problems with that.... now granted, my kitties tend to have shortened life spans so I haven't been able to tell the long-term effects of any of these foods, but I do know that my parents have always fed "grocery store" food i.e. Meow Mix, Cat Chow, etc and their cats have always been healthy, never had a cat with liver disease and anything so ????? Its basically a crap shoot

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I have a personal rule of not buying anything from a company that just changed hands, due to quality control issues.

Meow Mix and Milkbone just got brought by Del Monte. I am going to stock up on their old treats and not buy any of their new treats for two years. I am not currently a big fan of Del Monte pet division because they make Special Kitty and Kozy Kitty, both on the lowest cat food spectrum.

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do not like Iams' ingredients, that's fine. If I may just dispel the myth that PeTA created about it-- they do not do the terrible things PeTA accuses them of. They've had several unannounced, independent visits by people who tell them how to run their food testing facilities, and the worst thing they could ever say was "provide more toys and increase free time for dogs" or "get bigger rooms for the cats". They don't kill cats and dogs, they don't perform Nazi-esque surgeries on them, etc.

That aside, there are by-products in Iams food, and I know that's not the best thing. Compared to the other foods at the supermarket, I've actually decided it's the best for Zissou for now, until I buy a car and can drive to petsmart and get her better food there. I can't afford the shipping costs to buy it online, especially when she is doing well on the food she's on and when I have spent 2$ on a 3 oz can of food she doesn't like it. Iams has chicken as a first ingredient and though there are other brands, like the Friskies pouches that also have meat as a first ingredient I'm not feeding my cat a manily-fish diet. There are also good things about Iams that have been stated before.

I think I've reached a compromise for now... personally I'd rather feed her better food but I'm already sacrificing to not be feeding her something with water as the first ingredient and no meat except by-products.

girlsetsfiyah

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I know this issue angers alot of people (and probably isn't the right thread for it) But all the Iams animal testing is absolutely horrible. I would never by their pet food, OR any other product made by Procter and Gamble, as they are all animal tested. But that's only my opinion and everyone has a right to what they believe, or buy. Just a thought...

zissou'smom

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Did you read the beginning of my post right below yours? P&G does, in fact, do animal testing, and the do, in fact, own Iams and Eukanuba. However, they don't do any more animal testing than Revlon or any other corporation selling similar products and some of it is actually required. Iams/Eukanuba animal testing (the cruel kind) doesn't happen. It is a myth, and it is spread by one of the worst "animal rights" groups in the world.

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had never had a cat who would eat any Iams food. Eukaneuba, however, is another matter altogether.

Even though Iams and Eukaneuba are both owned by the same company, they are very different brands.

plebayo

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Unless the cat isn't sick yet. I truly believe fluid intake is a big factor with struvite, and there is research which supports this. But most cats seem to do fine on a dry diet, on some will continue to do so for a long time, but others will get sick suddenly, and then it is too late, no matter how great the cat looked before.
But there again, it can't be proven that the DIET caused the problem. The only diet that could really be diagnosed that you under nourished your pet would be if you were feeding RAW and only feeding Organ meat, your vet is going to say, yeah your cat has _____ because you only fed organ meat and that isn't complete. Or if you were feeding say strictly muscle meat and not supplementing taurine, your cat has heart failure because you haven't been supplementing his taurine intake.

When it comes to crystals and struvites, it really depends on the cat. Some cats can handle their PH very well, other cats cannot. The urinary diets are out there to balance it for them. I agree with the water thing, but if your cat is bound to have crystals, they're going to have them one way or another.

There's no true study or test that says "Fluffy died from eating Iams." Well... there is one, obviously many pets got sick and died when the Diamond Pet food company got all that nasty corn with fungus on it and put it in there food. I will say that is one great example of poor quality control. Perhaps if they really cared about what they put in the food, the corn wouldn't be in it [because corn is just a cheap source of protein] or they would have been checking their food to make sure it was quality.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by shengmei

I had never had a cat who would eat any Iams food. Eukaneuba, however, is another matter altogether.

Even though Iams and Eukaneuba are both owned by the same company, they are very different brands.
How ... look at the labels and the break downs , at least in the last few years they are nearly identical cept for $$$....

shengmei

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Well, I believe that if people can shell out the money for Eukaneuba, they might as well go all out and get the most premium brands.

The Iams food and the Eukaneuba food look different, smell different, and taste different (I tried
). My cats used to crazy for Eukaneuba, but they would never touch Iams.

Eukaneuba is no cheaper than Wellness. Wellness is actually pretty affordable in very large bags. I am not a big fan of Innova because of the potato content.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by Plebayo

But there again, it can't be proven that the DIET caused the problem. The only diet that could really be diagnosed that you under nourished your pet would be if you were feeding RAW and only feeding Organ meat, your vet is going to say, yeah your cat has _____ because you only fed organ meat and that isn't complete. Or if you were feeding say strictly muscle meat and not supplementing taurine, your cat has heart failure because you haven't been supplementing his taurine intake.

When it comes to crystals and struvites, it really depends on the cat. Some cats can handle their PH very well, other cats cannot. The urinary diets are out there to balance it for them. I agree with the water thing, but if your cat is bound to have crystals, they're going to have them one way or another.

There's no true study or test that says "Fluffy died from eating Iams." Well... there is one, obviously many pets got sick and died when the Diamond Pet food company got all that nasty corn with fungus on it and put it in there food. I will say that is one great example of poor quality control. Perhaps if they really cared about what they put in the food, the corn wouldn't be in it [because corn is just a cheap source of protein] or they would have been checking their food to make sure it was quality.
Beautifully put...

My dog was on evan what the vet thought was a good food( she would recommend it to another dog ) but for mine raw seem s to work better....