Premature Kittens??

Adam rout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
hi all,

My little Persian cat (scruff) was taken to the vet a few weeks back and we was told that she was pregnant; whilst this was exciting news we were also a little worried as were aware of complications that can happen (unfortunately this wasn't a planned pregnancy; however have now had or male cat neutered).
The ultra sound showed that she was pregnant with at least three kittens - a little daunting however myself and my partner prepared ourselves in every way possible.
Yesterday our little scruff gave birth two just two kittens... there was around an hour and a half between them and she didn't seem to really push for the second one.
They are both a little small, however the second kitten doesn't have as much fur as the first and is a little weaker - I've researched premature kittens and they seem to fit the bill although the first is a lot stronger and can hold his head up and crawl around.

The second one can also do this, however has trouble feeding on his own so I'm having To place him on her nipples every 1-2 hours
I'm keeping them warm and cosy too however I just want to know if there is any reason why the other kitten(s) haven't been born yet? Is it possible to have half premature half normal?

If anyone has any tips also that would be really appreciated. I'm trying my absolute best and not sure if a visit to the vet is too much for them

Thank you

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
When they are apparently on the verge of being premature, its natural some are more done, some not. Its also fully possible they were conceived at different occasions - even if the most common seems one male one occasion...

Yes, its fully possible she has one or more left, and will deliver them in theirs appropriate time. Observe, but as long as she is OK, no visible troubles, you can wait and see.
What we dont want, is prolonged active pushing. Prelabor may be long, but the active full labor phase is shorter than with humans.

OK, so you have two now, one somewhat premature whom is probably OK, one visibly premature, where you will be surely put work on. Yellow Alert at least, but see it as Red Alert till you see he is noticeably gaining.

So, use a scale and monitor the weights. They shall gain minimum 6g a day, preferably more - healthy kittens add typically 10+ grammes a day. Yes even some smallish prematures do.

Make sure its warm and cozy - an IR lamp may be useful.
Good if the air humidity is rather high - the lungs on the prematures are often not fully developed.

Good you ensure the little one gets his own teat time. But it may not be enough - the weak ones are often bad sucklers. The trick to KNOW is to weigh, every 12 hours while in Red Alert stage.
Be prepared you must supplement feed - raw goats milk is best, but canned is OK, or some good brand of kmr. The KMR in powder made by PetAg, is best of them.

You will probably need to use a syringe (tummy down, head up, in the corner of the mouth, slowly so he can swallow properly - takes time and patience till you and the kitten gets the idea).

Possibly you can try to let it suckle from a little sponge - make up type. Works nicely for some.

How much do they weigh at this moment?

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
One more tip. Have a source of glucose sugar at hand; honey or white caro syrup are the common in USA.

If he seems weekish, lethargic etc, you can make a sweet water-honey solution, and put some on his lips and gums. This gives quick energy.

This will also be the main ingredient in home made pedialyte, if such will ever be necessary.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Adam rout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you so much for your response.

Scruff is incredibly relaxed and doesn't seem to be pushing at all, which is why I was thinking it may be best to wait as I've read that unless she's in clear distress it should be ok ( like you said ). So thank you for putting my mind st ease there!

In regards to the littone one, we have some powdered goats milk from our friends who run a farm, is this ok? We have been trying to use a syringe but he doesn't like to open his mouth - as we speak he is sleeping whilst the other is nuzzling for food.

I have a small hot water bottle with them that's not too hot, so I think they should be ok heat wise although the little one can be a little cold sometimes

We haven't weighed them just yet, my partner has just this second gone to get some scales!

I have added some pictures for you

Attachments

Adam rout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When they are apparently on the verge of being premature, its natural some are more done, some not. Its also fully possible they were conceived at different occasions - even if the most common seems one male one occasion...

Yes, its fully possible she has one or more left, and will deliver them in theirs appropriate time. Observe, but as long as she is OK, no visible troubles, you can wait and see.
What we dont want, is prolonged active pushing. Prelabor may be long, but the active full labor phase is shorter than with humans.

OK, so you have two now, one somewhat premature whom is probably OK, one visibly premature, where you will be surely put work on. Yellow Alert at least, but see it as Red Alert till you see he is noticeably gaining.

So, use a scale and monitor the weights. They shall gain minimum 6g a day, preferably more - healthy kittens add typically 10+ grammes a day. Yes even some smallish prematures do.

Make sure its warm and cozy - an IR lamp may be useful.
Good if the air humidity is rather high - the lungs on the prematures are often not fully developed.

Good you ensure the little one gets his own teat time. But it may not be enough - the weak ones are often bad sucklers. The trick to KNOW is to weigh, every 12 hours while in Red Alert stage.
Be prepared you must supplement feed - raw goats milk is best, but canned is OK, or some good brand of kmr. The KMR in powder made by PetAg, is best of them.

You will probably need to use a syringe (tummy down, head up, in the corner of the mouth, slowly so he can swallow properly - takes time and patience till you and the kitten gets the idea).

Possibly you can try to let it suckle from a little sponge - make up type. Works nicely for some.

How much do they weigh at this moment?
UPDATE ---

Have weighed them both, little one is 40g whilst the other is 60g, so there's quite a difference

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The gram-amounts are a little funny - I suspect they show at least 10g too little, probably even 20 grammes... BUT main thing is you will see any changes.

Powdered goats milk is OK, I know rescuers whom use it as their preferred choice. But if you do have a friend with goats farm, you can perhaps also get the real thing, raw goats milk? Its the best - provided of course the hygiene etc was proper.

Be sure the little one doenst get cold - its in first hand him whom needs help with warmth. so its not enough with a cozy blanket, he needs active heat source. Momma, heating pad, your chest... IR-lamp if you can get such is useful. Many rheumatic people has them. Also some whom has terraries for lizards, or chickens...

Keeping him at your chest is a good old trick.

Having common rice (or wheat,) in a sock, nuke it in micro - typically 5 minutes, but you can experiment some.
It holds warmth several hours. Just lay under a towel, so it doensth happen to be too hot.

Adam rout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I also thought the weight was a little strange, very tiny but hopefully we will see changes when we weigh them again.

I have just tried giving him some goats milk and then placed him on scruffs teat and he seemed to be sucking a whole lot - which is great to see!

I'll definitley try and find some kind of heat source - the rice sounds like a great idea as the bottle we are using runs out quite quickly.

In regards to placing him on my chest, will this effect the Mum-kitten bond? I've been told to try and keep my distance but obviously in these circumstances it may not be the best!

Thank you so much for your help, I feel. A little more positive about this all!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
An electric heating pad set on low underneath the blanket will supply a steady heat source if you can purchase one. I used mine for 3 weeks straight.

Have you zeroed out the scale? You also must use it on a hard, flat surface for accuracy.

If these are the true weights, then both kittens need supplememting 1mL every couple of hours.

You can wrap the kitten in a towel like a burrito to feed it.

Adam rout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I think I'll definitley invest in one as I want to make sure these little guys are as warm and comfortable as possible.

We zeroed down the scale however it may not have been on the flattest of surfaces... I will try again later on this evening on a hard flat surface to see if there is a change.

The syringe I'm using doesn't go directly into the mouth and has a hole in the end for the milk to come out, so I can't get it directly into his mouth but the larger one usually opens his mouth as the liquid drops in if that makes sense - which is ok right?

I will definitley do the burrito style of wrapping, is there any material you'd recommend?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
A blanket or towel is fine.

You can also order Miracle Nipples to put on the end of a syringe to help with feeding.

Miracle Nipple

:)

Adam rout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Oh wow thank you so much that's amazing!!

Adam rout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's perfect do I really do appreciate it!

Do you have any advice on what to do if Mum cat keeps leaving the kittens? She just moved across the room sometimes to lay down, I guess to get some space

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Moms take breaks. They need them. As long as she goes back to nurse them when they cry it's fine for her to take breaks. :)

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The chest warming most common with orphans but momma wont abandon because you handle the kitten. Of course disturbing momma. and overdoing mot good...

Adam rout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Moms take breaks. They need them. As long as she goes back to nurse them when they cry it's fine for her to take breaks. :)
Ok great :) they seem to be warm and sleepy without her At the moment and she's getting some peaceful rest - now for the night shift haha!

Adam rout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The chest warming most common with orphans but momma wont abandon because you handle the kitten. Of course disturbing momma. and overdoing mot good...
Ok great :) I will try this - thank you!

Adam rout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just an update -

We sadly lost the little furry guy this morning whilst we were out getting supplies for them which was a real shame

However the little guy seems to be fighting on, we took him to the vet and they offfered an incubator however said he's chances would be the same at home, so we have decided to try our best in comfort for him.

He's sleeps then meows so I feed him, however meows quite a bit sometimes even after a feed - do you know why this could be?

I'm so determined to save him, whilst I know the chances are small I am trying my best

Adam rout

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We sadly lost the little furry guy this morning whilst we were out getting supplies for them which was a real shame

However the little guy seems to be fighting on, we took him to the vet and they offfered an incubator however said he's chances would be the same at home, so we have decided to try our best in comfort for him.

He's sleeps then meows so I feed him, however meows quite a bit sometimes even after a feed - do you know why this could be?

I'm so determined to save him, whilst I know the chances are small I am trying my best

Any tips you have would be great. I'm feeding every two hours and he is in a blanket with a heated mat