Premature kitten?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mkcrazycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The kitten didn't make it. I would have brought the kitten back to it's mom on my days off and when it had gotten older. Mom had milk when I checked her but kitten was making no attempt to nurse from her or even move to her when she entered the nest. I don't know how she had acted at my friend's house but she got the impression momma was no longer interested in the kitten.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The kitten died? When did this happen? Had the kitten been taking KMR?

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Yes, it would be great if you could get more information. Something seems weird here.

mkcrazycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She told me kitten had been taking formula and doing good. She said he was doing good and moving around when she left for work at 6:30. She said she got off at 9:30, and he was barely breathing. That's all I know.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
What a shame! We'll never really know. I'm so sorry.

Mom can be spayed anytime now. Are you keeping mom or re-homing?

mkcrazycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel like she waited too long between feedings and if I had known she had to work, I would have taken the kitten this morning.

mkcrazycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm not sure if I'll be keeping her yet or not. At the very least, I want to get her healthy again. Get her to the vet and make sure she has her vaccines and gets spayed and dewormed and then get some weight on her.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It sounds like she was not as forthcoming with you as she could have been.

The kitten may also have been cold, or missing mom, etc. It's a sad situation. But you tried to do the right thing. The problems seemed to occur when they left your care.

mkcrazycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Honestly, part of me wants to make momma healthy and then stick her outside when she goes into season and hope she becomes pregnant again. But I know there are too many cats in the world and the best thing for her is to get her spayed. I don't want to add to the problem. I've been really upset about losing the kittens. If I could have quit my job to take care of them, I would have. My friend made it seem like she had flexible work hours and would be able to care for the kitten and momma. Plus, she had experience.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I understand, but please get mom spayed. It's really best for her health too. There really are too many homeless pregnant cats and kittens out there.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Honestly, part of me wants to make momma healthy and then stick her outside when she goes into season and hope she becomes pregnant again. But I know there are too many cats in the world and the best thing for her is to get her spayed. I don't want to add to the problem. I've been really upset about losing the kittens. If I could have quit my job to take care of them, I would have. My friend made it seem like she had flexible work hours and would be able to care for the kitten and momma. Plus, she had experience.
This is not a healthy or safe idea for your mama cat, who has just been through quite an ordeal herself. Random matings can spread diseases, some of them deadly. You also don't know her medical history or if she is healthy herself. If you want to be around kittens, I suggest you foster. Let this poor mama enjoy the rest of her life as a cherished pet.

mkcrazycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Maybe I got misunderstood. I am definitely getting momma spayed. It's not my plan to breed her, more like wishful thinking. My heart aches for her and I feel she got robbed of something but I know it is best to get her spayed.

mkcrazycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I completely get how you feel!

How's mama kitty doing?
Momma seems to be doing alright. She's been super sweet and following me around the house and insisting she sleeps in the bed with me. She's eating and drinking and hopefully she will gain some weight back. She's still got some blood on her fur and I know she needs a bath but I don't want to stress her out so soon.

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe I got misunderstood. I am definitely getting momma spayed. It's not my plan to breed her, more like wishful thinking. My heart aches for her and I feel she got robbed of something but I know it is best to get her spayed.
I understand that. The good news is that cats don't have dreams of parenting like humans might, or plans for a family. Once her hormones subside and she's spayed she'll feel much better. You're doing a wonderful thing for her.

mkcrazycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's such a good cat and so pretty. I've never seen a cat with eyes as blue as hers. She's even good with my kids. My husband doesn't want to keep her but maybe she will win him over. He knows I have no intention of finding her a home until after she's spayed and better.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I feel like she waited too long between feedings and if I had known she had to work, I would have taken the kitten this morning.
As the kitten was low weight and thin, it was a fight uphill even with very good care.  Its not sure at all it would be any difference in the long run if you took her back this morning...  Kittens in such bad shape have very thin margins, or even none margins at all, it doesnt takes much to die for them.

So dont accuse yourself nor this other person.

Be happy for them whom are still with us - here the momma.

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

As the kitten was low weight and thin, it was a fight uphill even with very good care.  Its not sure at all it would be any difference in the long run if you took her back this morning...  Kittens in such bad shape have very thin margins, or even none margins at all, it doesnt takes much to die for them.

So dont accuse yourself nor this other person.

Be happy for them whom are still with us - here the momma.
StefanZ is absolutely right, If I am not mistaken, that baby was born way below normal weight, 59oz if I remember correctly and a normal kitten should be at least 90???  I think I recall Sarthur stating that.  I really should go back and check my facts first, but I am going to make and exception and comment before fact checking this time.  I apologize if I am wrong.  Anyway, if that is the case, the likely hood of survival is next to nil.  You did a wonderful job in your endeavor!!   The fact that you got online with TCS speaks volumes!!!   Good job.

mkcrazycatlady

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't blame anyone with what happened to the kittens except for the irresponsible person she belonged to before. She was barely showing when she came into my house. I thought she must have at least three weeks or a very small litter. She had them about a week after she came in. I had never seen kittens as tiny as the ones she had.