Prego & toxo

shiraz21

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, just found out im pregnant. What ar the chances my cat (strictly indoor) has toxo? Wondering if I need to get her tested or im probably ok since I dont give her raw meat, etc and she doesnt go outside? Any ideas? Thx!

feralvr

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations :clap::clap::clap::clap: I am not sure on the Toxoplasmosis whether being indoor only means they don't have it. Do you have someone else that can clean the litter box? I would just take precautions and wear gloves if you need to do the box yourself. The test would help ease your mind too. I am sure others will come along with more advice on this and offer ways to protect your baby. :wavey:

This TCS article will be very helpful to you..... http://www.thecatsite.com/a/toxoplasmosis-and-cats

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

shiraz21

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi, yes, my husband will do the litter box now :) I will ask my dr and vet about if they think the test is necessary :) thanks! First timer :)

just mike

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congrats on the news
Since you indicated your husband will do the boxes IIRC the major hurdle has been jumped. But to be on the safe side I would check with the doc and make sure to take any tests that are needed.  My sister in law went through a similar situation and it all sorted out quite well. 

ldg

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here is a great article to help reassure you: http://www.catsplay.com/thedailycat.../cats_pregnant_women/cats_pregnant_women.html

Cats are only infectious to humans when they're actively shedding the t. gondii eggs (oocysts). They only do this after recently being infected, and only for 3 - 14 days (this article says 3-10). So it's highly unlikely - as indoor cats - that it would be a problem in any way. But as long as hubby is going to scoop, you shouldn't have any problem!

Congratulations! :clap: :clap: :clap: