Pregnant Without Going Into Heat?

Klene4Today

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat doesn’t go into heat so it seems. She just one day has a big belly then goes overdue having 7 babies one which passed after birth for the out of the 7 4 I had to revive help deliver and deliver the placentas. The lady for all had detached placenta(so it seemed)and were breech. I lost one cuz two were born back to back while I was in restroom. I tried to save him but he swallowed a lot of fluid. Now the kittens are 11?weeks all 4 males are gone still have two females but my Queen seems to have a bit of a belly and going into labor. She won’t leave me be she’s beating up the kittens and she’s doing comfort purr
Well I def. think it is official. My maxsheba has to be pregnant or either she is swallowing food that I can't see. She went through the eating a lot stage, but now she is sleep forever, and her belly is getting humongous! I have never seen her sleep so much. On top of it she is acting like she is trying to get away from everyone. She started crying last night because my son wouldn't let her in. She is so sensitive when it comes to that boy
She is def. moody. One min she wants to rub you and the next she is like ARGG
So I am almost 100% sure she is pregnant but I will give her until the end of next week at the longest two weeks to check her out. Other than that we may be sitting with kittens in the closet and not know because she is so private.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Did you let your cat outside or around non-neutered male cats? If so, she may be pregnant again. Back to back litters are not healthy for cats, so please get her spayed. Do not let her outside or around males until she is spayed.

Mother cats teach their kittens manners by biting and kicking, but you can stop it if it’s too rough

If she has another litter you’ll need to keep the bigger kittens away from mom and newborns.

K Klene4Today

lutece

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Plus they can get pregnant when they are not in heat because they are induced ovulators.
Cats must be in heat in order to ovulate and get pregnant. "Induced ovulator" simply means that they don't ovulate just because they are in heat. When they are in heat, the stimulation of mating causes them to ovulate.

Some female cats have "silent heats" without behavioral changes, although that is not common. In that case it might seem to the owner as though the cat got pregnant when she wasn't in heat. It's also quite common for owners not to recognize the signs that a cat is in heat, so the cat gets pregnant before the owner figures it out. But she must have a heat cycle in order to ovulate and get pregnant, even if only a "silent" or non-obvious heat cycle.

Last edited:

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If a female cat has free access to tomcats, usually she gets pregnant before you notice her being in heat. She only has to howl if the boys aren't around ;).

She really should be spayed. That can be done when the kittens are 8 weeks old.