Pregnant with fleas

Rose94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
So I was rubbing my cats chin this morning and seen a big flea run through her fur so I’m guessing she contacted fleas on her little escapade that got her pregnant when she first returned home before I suspected pregnancy I gave her capstar flea meds just in case she did come into contact with fleas well it’s been 32 days since then and now I’m guessing the eggs of fleas have hatched and now my queen and my dog have fleas I’m going to bathe the dog and put salt and diatomaceous earth on the carpets spray bedding with alcohol and wash linens , is there anything else I can do I would like to bomb my connected garage as there is too much clutter in there and animals spend a lot of time in there and is it safe to continue capstar treatments for my queen? I don’t necessarily want to put her through the stress of a flea bath and assuming she’s contacted worms from the fleas what are some safe work medicines I can give to her

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I'd be inclined to have your queen checked to see if she actually has tapeworms first. But from what I have read there are products on the market that are safe for pregnant and lactating cats - see attached chart. This chart also lists some of the flea products that are supposed to be safe as well. It doesn't list Capstar for fleas, or Droncit for tapeworms, but I believe they are also safe. Btw, Capstar has to be taken daily to be effective; it does not kill flea eggs/larvae, as some other flea treatments do. With any of these products, you can verify the safety by searching them on the internet and look at the associated data/instructions. I strongly suggest you do so, just to be on the safe side.

Not sure about the bombing, as I have no experience with that. That might be something you would be better off consulting with a professional that could apply a fogger/bomber to your garage that they can verify is safe. The concern here is that I am not sure of which, if any, products will actually work on flea eggs/larvae, and the safety factor overall. Can you use flea treatments on the animals that spend time in your garage?
Worming a Pregnant Cat - Cat-World

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rose94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'd be inclined to have your queen checked to see if she actually has tapeworms first. But from what I have read there are products on the market that are safe for pregnant and lactating cats - see attached chart. This chart also lists some of the flea products that are supposed to be safe as well. It doesn't list Capstar for fleas, or Droncit for tapeworms, but I believe they are also safe. Btw, Capstar has to be taken daily to be effective; it does not kill flea eggs/larvae, as some other flea treatments do. With any of these products, you can verify the safety by searching them on the internet and look at the associated data/instructions. I strongly suggest you do so, just to be on the safe side.

Not sure about the bombing, as I have no experience with that. That might be something you would be better off consulting with a professional that could apply a fogger/bomber to your garage that they can verify is safe. The concern here is that I am not sure of which, if any, products will actually work on flea eggs/larvae, and the safety factor overall. Can you use flea treatments on the animals that spend time in your garage?
Worming a Pregnant Cat - Cat-World
Yes I plan on treating the animals it’s just my dog and cat but they spend a lot of the afternoon in the garage hiding from the kids that are home on summer break right now lol so I figured since they spend so much time in there that there must be fleas in there by now and vacuum everything in the garage so I thought maybe a bug bomb would help but I’ll do more research first

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Rose94

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Yes I plan on treating the animals it’s just my dog and cat but they spend a lot of the afternoon in the garage hiding from the kids that are home on summer break right now lol so I figured since they spend so much time in there that there must be fleas in there by now and vacuum everything in the garage so I thought maybe a bug bomb would help but I’ll do more research first
I meant to say I can’t vacuum everything in the garage lol