Pregnant stray

Kellylynne1968

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi all! We have had a pregnant stray on our deck. I discovered her mid Feb and a week later I noticed she has protruding nipples. We started bringing her in at night for warmth and putting her in a large dog kennel in a separate room from our dogs and cats. However for the last two weeks she has been I side with us 24/7. No idea when she will give birth but I’m guessing any day now if her nipples were protruding mid Feb when we found her? I’ve provided several areas for her to nest in, an open cabinet and the large dog kennel. Today she strangely got the zoomies and even tried to shove her pregnant body under a door! My heart tells me not to leave her at all so I’ve been kind of imprisoned in the back two rooms. Meanwhile our neutered male one year old cat has been peeing everywhere but the litter box. I’m guessing he can smell the prego cat so we got him an anxiety collar hoping that will help. It’s been chaos here with two cats and two dogs and now we have taken in a stray third cat. Can someone help me figure out how far along this cat is? I’ve read nipples start sticking out after two to three weeks of pregnancy, and she had that when I found her Feb 17. I’m having a lot of worries about something going wrong.
IMG_7100.jpeg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
If she conceived on February 3 or so, she is getting closer to delivery and is probably within several days if all these calculations are correct. She is probably a stray, as opposed to a feral, as she seems to have joined your family with no problem.

Kitten Lady
One of the best websites for overall, general information

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth - TheCatSite
Cat Pregnancy - Your Essential Roadmap to Feline Motherhood - TheCatSite
How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth? [Answered] - TheCatSite
Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats: Your Complete Resource - TheCatSite

You can certainly come here for help and information as well.

While you did not say that you would do this, I advise that she not be allowed outside. While I don't think that she is feral, cats select very obscure and difficult to access places to give birth. My avatar was born under a neighbor's house.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It likely means the babies have moved down into the birth canal and are squeezed in, giving a swollen look to her end parts. She is likely near the end of her pregnancy now and due any day now or in the next few days. Thank you for taking her in. Do keep us posted!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kellylynne1968

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We have brought in a very pregnant stray. When I found her on Feb 17 I could feel nipples. She has progressively gotten bigger and we have her in one room. I would think she would have had birth by now as of last week lots of kitten movement. But in the last several days it seems she’s skinnier, belly not as hard. Very strange. Acts very healthy, and not as much kitten movement . Last week the kittens were moving a ton , but not much now. We live paycheck to paycheck and not much money for a vet visit. What do you think is going in? There is nowhere in the room where she could have secretly had the babies

Kellylynne1968

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It likely means the babies have moved down into the birth canal and are squeezed in, giving a swollen look to her end parts. She is likely near the end of her pregnancy now and due any day now or in the next few days. Thank you for taking her in. Do keep us posted!
Strangely she looks thinner now, belly not as hard, only small movements of kittens compared to the acrobatic movements of last week. Upper tail doesn’t look as swollen . She acts very healthy so what in the world? I posted about this today and maybe I should have just used this post for this new issue. A little confused on how these forums work. But holy cow what is going on with this momma? There have been so many nights she’s kept me up acting like she would give birth at any moment, anxiety, digging to get into places I’ve blocked off, etc etc. I’ve given her three nesting options. How in the world is she looking skinnier?

Umerwhat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How many days exactly has it been since she feels thinner? It's common for pregnant cats to "drop" 24-48hrs before delivering and the babies will move less during that time. If she had kittens already, you would likely catch the little mewls if you stay in the room long enough. Hopefully someone more experienced will respond soon.

Kellylynne1968

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How many days exactly has it been since she feels thinner? It's common for pregnant cats to "drop" 24-48hrs before delivering and the babies will move less during that time. If she had kittens already, you would likely catch the little mewls if you stay in the room long enough. Hopefully someone more experienced will respond soon.
About three days of looking less pregnant. Last week the kittens were super active in the belly. Now I have to actually feel for slight movement instead of seeing it visually.

Kellylynne1968

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
About three days of looking less pregnant. Last week the kittens were super active in the belly. Now I have to actually feel for slight movement instead of seeing it visually.
Also, I have severe spine issues so most of the day I’m back in the bedroom with her.