Pregnant Stray

Ms.Lovemycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello I took in a stray cat and I’m pretty sure she’s pregnant. If I take her to a vet will they be able to tell me how far along she is? Her belly is a little swelled so I’m thinking she’s four or five weeks pregnant. Thank you.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
They will be able to give you a rough estimate if they do an ultrasound. But even then it's not an exact science. My current foster had an ultrasound when I got her, and the vet estimated she was about a week away from labor at the time. But the babies didn't come for another 3 weeks after that appointment. Could possibly be that my vet doesn't have a lot of experience with feline pre-natal care, though. :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ms.Lovemycats

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I was mostly asking because I’m wondering if I should take her to the vets. It doesn’t seem worth the risk to take her to the vets because that can be very stressful and there is a lot of bacteria and sick animals that go to the vet.

laurenfosters

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I was mostly asking because I’m wondering if I should take her to the vets. It doesn’t seem worth the risk to take her to the vets because that can be very stressful and there is a lot of bacteria and sick animals that go to the vet.
Since she was stray, you might want to take her in anyways and make sure she doesn't have any parasites - I would think she likely does as most strays do. I believe there are de-worming medications that are safe for pregnant cats.