Pregnant stray - possibly overdue??

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

worriedmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good news! Stopped by the vet during lunch, who raises kittens herself. She listened to her lungs and did the whole 9 yards. There's no fluid in her lungs, and actually the clicking noise I heard was purring. The vet petted her until she made the noise and confirmed that she's just a happy kitten.

So relieved! Worth the vet visit just to hear she's doing well

Probably going to make sure she has a smaller hole in her nipple anyway - not interested in pushing my luck!

worriedmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! Pepperoni is doing well, and now weighs over 10 ounces!

Two quick questions:
1. One of her eyes tends to be a bit crusty, and is often closed for a while when she first wakes up. It has some clear discharge as well. I wipe it gently with a warm and damp paper towel. Anything other way I can assist her with this? I don't think the eye hurts her or that its infected.
2. She has begun nibbling on her bottle nipple when she's done eating - I think her teeth may be coming in. Does this mean I can start weaning her soon? If so, are there any special tips? I know the general idea (let her lap up milk, mix wet food with KMR, etc). I haven't been able to get her to lick any formula off my hand - not sure if her vision is well developed enough yet to see it properly.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
You've answered your own questions! If there is no green or yellow discharge from the eye, there is no infection, so just use the warm, damp compress to help it open.

She'll be ready to wean when she begins licking mushy wet food from your finger or a spoon. It sounds like she's getting close!

She is precious! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

worriedmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi! Pepperoni is four weeks old as of yesterday. We've begun the process of weaning her and getting her to use litter, but I'm a bit confused about the litter training...
now that we are providing litter to her always, should we stop stimulating her after meals? We've been stimulating her over the litter, but I think as a result she hasn't felt a need to poop/pee much on her own. She's peed on her own, so I know she's capable, but we haven't yet seen her poop without stimulation.

Also, is there a target range for how much kitten food she should have in one meal? She will lick it off my finger but has no interest in eating it from a bowl yet...so it's very time consuming.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Four weeks is still young for weaning to solids and using the litter pan. She will do better in another week or two. I would continue offering food on your finger, along with the bottle, for now.

She should be able to eliminate on her own without stimulation, so put her in the litter pan before and after meals. If she doesn't go, continue helping and give it another week or so.

Kittens are a lot of work, but you're almost there with her! [emoji]128522[/emoji]

worriedmom

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Last edited:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Aww, that's great! So sweet they are good buddies now. I know life is easier for you now too! Nice rescue job! [emoji]128522[/emoji]