Pregnant Stray Hates Being Alone!

happypanda413

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello all! My daughter recently rescued a stray Queen from the parking garage of our apartment complex. She is very small and very affectionate. The vet says she's healthy, but due to her size, it's hard to determine how far along she is. We've agreed to foster her and her kittens until they can find homes. There's just one problem; she HATES being alone. I've had to seclude her from my three permanently residing male cats in our spare bedroom, and every day, she meows at the door nonstop. I have even put my older, docile male in there to keep her company as a last resort, but she soon becomes bored with him and begins meowing again. I know she's used to roaming free since she is a stray, but I don't feel it's safe to let her roam the house since she may be due any day now, and I don't fully trust my younger males around her. The only time she does not meow is when someone is petting her or otherwise paying attention to her. Since my husband and I work full time, and my daughter is at school during the day, this means she is alone (and meowing) all morning and afternoon. I'm worried, will this obvious stress negatively impact her pregnancy? I don't know if it would be safer to turn her over to a foster care that can give her more direct daily attention. Then again, I've never housed a pregnant stray before. Anyone else havea similar experience? Any help/advice is appreciated!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She's lonely. Do you let her out of the bedroom in the evenings when you are home? Do you let her sleep with you or your daughter at night?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happypanda413

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She's lonely. Do you let her out of the bedroom in the evenings when you are home? Do you let her sleep with you or your daughter at night?
Yes, when we're home I put the other kitties away to give her roaming time, and my daughter sleeps with her every night. Evenings and nights are fine. It's just the daytime that concerns me. I worked from home today (in a different room, I'm a phone operator) and she meowed in probably five minute intervals all day. I checked on her often and, like I said, offered her a kitty companion, but since I can't work from home every day, I'm worried that her loneliness will stress her out to the point that her health and pregnancy is affected.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She probably has a sense when no one is home and does not call.

When she has the kittens she will appreciate being in a room alone with her kittens.

I do not think her pregnancy is being threatened by her meowing.

Wouldn't she hiss at your male cats if they bothered her around the house? Are your males all neutered?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

happypanda413

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She probably has a sense when no one is home and does not call.

When she has the kittens she will appreciate being in a room alone with her kittens.

I do not think her pregnancy is being threatened by her meowing.

Wouldn't she hiss at your male cats if they bothered her around the house? Are your males all neutered?
All males are neutered, and the one that I put in the room with her gets along with her just fine. She and the other two have shown hostility toward each other whenever they've come in contact with one another (I.e. when she'd make a mad dash out of the room to explore the rest of the house). She doesn't seem to care for the other two at all; she gets puffed up and starts to hiss and become aggressive. That's why we've continued to keep them separate.