Pregnant Stray Cat

AmberLoma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I have a stray cat that's very pregnant on who started to show up after I gave her some food. I can't bring her inside because I already have 2 cats (former strays) and 3 dogs. I set up a dog house with newspaper and water and food on my porch for her. She shows up at about 8 to eat and again around 5. Should I be feeding her more than twice? Is there anything more I can for her? She's very lovable I spend a lot of time Just showing her affection on the porch. I have noticed she doesn't go into her dog house barely. Will she use it when she's in labor? Any advice would be helpful. She's very swollen and her nipples are starting to get very pink and kind of swollen too. I've never dealt with a pregnant cat so I have no clue how pregnant she is! I'm assuming she's in her last couple weeks though.

desert82

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I'm not an expert and hopefully someone more experienced will be along soon but yes I would be feeding her more than that, she should have dry food available to her most the day and also eat wet food throughout the day as well. She needs a lot more calories than before. It also wouldn't hurt to give her a bowl of the powdered kmr a day either and also have some on.hand just in case you need it if she doesn't nurse for some reason. There is some really amazing kitten experts that will hopefully be on soon to help you out better.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Welcome! :wave3:

Is your porch screened in? It would be great if you could keep her on the porch.

She may have the kittens outside somewhere hard to find. Or she may need help during delivery and you won't be there if she goes off somewhere.

Do you have a spare room she could use for a few weeks even? Laundry room, garage, bathroom even?

Here are some helpful links:

Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth

How Do I Know When My Cat Will Give Birth?

Help! My Cat Is Having Kittens!

She does need lots of food available 24/7 through pregnancy and nursing. Also fresh water.

We would love to see a picture of her!

Please keep us updated.

Thank you for caring for her. She sounds very sweet! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

AmberLoma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Here is a picture of her where you can see her belly. I will take another one today from the top. Unfortunately my porch is not screened in. I live at my mother in laws currently and I will talk to her about keeping Jetta ( I named her) in my bedroom for a couple weeks. I will also leave more cat food for her I gave her a can of fancy feast last night as well. Will she be happy staying in my room if she has always been a stray? Should I just bring her in during the day? At what age can they be spayed? I'm thinking I should just keep them all together and then have them all spayed when old enough.

Attachments

AmberLoma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm so sorry I forgot to say thank you for the help guys!

AmberLoma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, I've noticed a couple up leaving piles of throw up on my porch and front walk. Is this from her and normal pregnancy?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She looks very young herself!

It would be safer for Jetta and her future kittens if she were to be brought inside 24/7 now. Then you will know she is not having kittens outside.

You would put her food, water, and litter box in your bedroom as well. She will adjust.

Jetta can be spayed when her kittens are 8 weeks old. The kittens can also be fixed at 8 weeks/2 pounds.

I can help you locate a low-cost clinic in your area for that.

The vomit is from her tummy being upset. Hormones! Just clean it up so you don't get ants or bugs.

Jetta would need to stay inside from now until she is spayed so she does not get pregnant again. Believe it or not, cats can become pregnant one week after having kittens!

AmberLoma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wow that is fast!! I had a litter of black kittens running around here maybe 3 weeks ago she may very well be one of them not even a year old yet I'd guess. She's eating her dry food now I'm going to give her another bowl of fancy feast as well. I will talk to my mother in law and hopefully set up a box in my room. If she doesn't allow it is there somewhere I can bring her where they won't put her or the kittens down of course I live in North Fort Myers Florida. If you know any low cost spay clinics over here that'd be great.
Thanks again for everything you guys have been super helpful

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
It would be best if you could keep her for now, and either find homes for the kittens or turn the kittens over to a no-kill rescue when they are 10-12 weeks old. Rescues are filled to the brim right now, and some places euthanize. :(

I'll look into low-cost spay clinics and rescues for you! :)

AmberLoma

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I know, we have strays all over my neighborhood. I would like to bring her inside during pregnancy and get everyone spayed after. Then I can find the kittens homes and even if she's just my outside cat after at least she'll be spayed. Thank you!