Pregnant Stray Cat - Overdue?

megdarcy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys!

About two weeks ago I took in a stray pregnant cat, the lady who initially found her took her to the vet on the 17th July where the vet said she was around 4-5 weeks pregnant.

Once the cat came into my care I took her for another vet checkup on the 10th of August, the vet said she was dilated and ready to pop and to expected kittens within a couple of days!

However today, two weeks later, she has still not given birth or showing any signs. How long should I wait before I get her back to the vet to see if something is wrong?

Ive attached some photos so you can see how big she is! These photos are about 1-2 weeks old too, ive included a picture of her before she was pregnant you can see how fine she was.

Thank you :)

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Had you felt the kittens moving? How and when?
Does she had dropped?

Pinpointing the exact delivery is seldom easy, not even when knowing when she mated.

The overall rule is, cats manage a little too long pregnancy better than humans, while kittens manage badly being premature, so for example, a too early laid cesarean is devastating.
So, our advice 19 of 20 occasion, is to wait it out. Be observant, but wait.

However, exceptions does occur almost once in a year.

You do have access to a vet. You are even his paying patient no? I hope he is a decent good obstetrician.

anyways, the best advice for the moment is you talk it through with him again. Dont insist on decisive actions, but let him check her up again, and together you will decide.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
on the pics she doesnt seems very big; but it may be a small litter, she may even had dropped...

She is very pretty.

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
I think as long as she isn't distressed you should be fine to wait it out! How long have you been able to feel the babies moving?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The estimates were clearly wrong. As said, since she's doing fine just wait for Morher Nature to do her thing! :)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

megdarcy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Still no kittens! I've been able to feel the kittens move for over two weeks now. At first it felt like a crackle? Or popping? I don't know how to explain it. Now they're move obvious bumps and movements. Past couple of days I haven't been able to feel much.... but my partner said he felt movement last night. The movement I've always felt seems to be only on one side also...

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, often described as pops or crackles early on. Later on, towards the end, the kittens get bigger and more cramped and so have less room to move.

She's getting closer! :)

megdarcy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Day 68... tonight I checked her over, has been acting normal with no signs but maybe she's dilated a tiny bit? I can see a small hole that I'm
Not sure was so noticeable before. Also she looks like she has some clear discharge only a tiny bit to make her vagina wet looking is this related to labour?

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yes, her body is preparing for labor. These are the normal signs. She'll have them in the next day or two most likely.

megdarcy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Must of been a false alarm, no more signs. Getting concerned it's Now at least day 69

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
I would say the calculations are off by a few days. She will have them when her body is ready.

Since she is acting normally there's no need for concern.

I even had an x-ray done on my cat towards the end. The vet said 7-10 more days, and she delivered 4 very healthy kittens 12 days later.

Continue your patient vigil. ;)

megdarcy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you!

When I first took her in and the vet said she was due in a few days she was an outside cat so I just kept her in my laundry but it's been weeks now and I don't like keeping her in a small place for so long and now she's adapted to being indoors. So I've let her out and allowing her to roam a little bit. She's just found a spot in the back of my wardrobe and is trying to pull up the carpet constantly. Think she's found her new nesting spot!

megdarcy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thick green gloopy discharge but she's licking constantly so I can't see! Mucus plug or something wrong? It's very yellow/green

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like the mucus plug! Should be seeing kittens soon! How is it going? Have you seen any contractions?

megdarcy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No contractions (hard to tell if it's the kittens moving or just vibrating from purring) she's just restless laying in different spots sometimes pushing her back legs back. It's 1PM and im not going to be home from 3-11PM I hope she doesn't have them then. I've read they can lose the plug days before

megdarcy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just tried getting up to go to the shower and she was having none of that! Crying loudly and has now lead me to
One of her nests

talkingpeanut

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Any chance you can stay with her today? Sounds like she needs you.

megdarcy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She's pushing now too! Happened so fast!

megdarcy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Or maybe it's a contraction

megdarcy

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
She had her first almost two hours ago and has been pushing ever since but no more kittens?!