Pregnant stray cat - mucas plug?

Ccs1943

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Last week we found a VERY pregnant cat locked in our shop. We brought her in and have been calling her Mama Mia!

Since we brought her in, she's been very chill and lovey with a big appetite. A few days ago, she's slowed down on eating, now only snacking here and there.. Not sure if that is due to her being a stray and not having food, or if it's due to pregnancy.

Two nights ago, she started meowing pretty much all night. Continuing into yesterday. Yesterday, she meowing consistently through out the day and seemed restless, getting up and readjusting often. We also thought we might have seen a very little brownish discharge, but it wasn't enough to come out, just around her area. But Today, the meowing has continued, and it seems since last night and today, that her milk has begun coming in, as around her nipples are beginning to fill up.

We've been keeping a close eye on her today, cause we feel like it will be soon.. But tonight we noticed dried brownish discharge (Pictured). Is this her mucas plug?

We wiped it, since as much as she tries, she can't reach it.. And as soon as we did, there was more that was a lighter color coming out.

We're just trying to get some insight, because since we're unsure of how far along she is and it seems like she could have them anytime. But everything we read about mucas plug says still would have 3-7 days before labor!?

Attachments

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
The situation is always potentially touchy... It was NOT visible contractions? If not, lets hope it was Braxton Hicks contractions, a way of Mother Nature to prepare her muscles for the real labor. Because I think it WAS some sort of contractions, making her uncomfortable.
Has she dropped? Ie suddenly seems less pregnant? Not all cats do drop before the delivery, but its common enough...

Yes, musus plug is sometimes a little bloody, and although in theory comes just hours before delivery, in practice comes often a full week before.

Lets hope for the best.

ps. In the third photo she seems to strain a little, or at least, tensions up her muscles...

C Ccs1943

Margot Lane

Kitten at heart, not a Top Cat
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank you for taking her in! You are big hearted people. You might consider more than one place for the birth as mammas can surprise you about where they choose to have them. Please send kitten photos! Good luck! ❤

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Ccs1943

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She has a red sack poking out a bit.. Not sure if it's another kitten or a placenta?

She's not having contractions.. Is it okay for her to not be having them while this thing is hanging out a little!?

All my cats are spayed/neutered.. Thank God this is stressful!

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
How are things now? Has the sac burst or come out yet? Are the kittens latching and nursing?

Ccs1943

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
How are things now? Has the sac burst or come out yet? Are the kittens latching and nursing?
Everything went okay! About 30 mins after I had posted that, contractions began again and she delivered a beautiful Torti!

Not sure if she's done, her last one was about 7:30ct am this morning, but she's given birth to 5 seemingly healthy babies. Two dark orange (one tabby, one just orange) two light oranges and white (like mama) and one tortishell!

Attachments

Ccs1943

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Wonderful! Are they all nursing?
Yes! They seem to be all doing well nursing! Definitely going to keep an eye on the youngest.. But Mama Mia is a natural. We Do seem to have two piggy's in the litter.. So we will keep an eye on them as well so there is enough to go around. ❤

Ccs1943

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I do have a little concern though... Her Last baby was around 7am this morning.. So about 3-4 hours ago.. She still has a lot of blood around her area.. Does she just take her time cleaning this up? I can't really tell if it's actively bleeding or not.. It doesn't seem to be getting on the pads at all. So I don't think so.. But she won't let me get that good of a look.

She doesn't seem to be in any pain and isn't straining or anything..

Thanks for the help this far.. This is all new to me and even the cat is new to me, so it's been an adventure!

Attachments

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
She will eventually clean herself up, and she may spot blood for 7-10 days while her uterus heals. It’s normal.

Have you weighed the kittens yet?

Ccs1943

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
She will eventually clean herself up, and she may spot blood for 7-10 days while her uterus heals. It’s normal.

Have you weighed the kittens yet?
Okay great! Thanks!

I havent yet, aside from cleaning up where she's nursing them and making sure they've latched, I have just been leaving them to rest..

Should I go ahead and weigh them? Or is it okay to wait til later this evening?

Ccs1943

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
💔 I came back just after being out of the house and there was an additional kitten, he's super cold and not breathing. This was at 3pm.. When her last one was within the 7am hour.. So an 8hour difference.
I wasn't expecting any others, but I do have a camera on her, with motion alerts, this is how I know what time she had it, and how long it had laid there.
As I said, she wasn't seemingly in labor for multiple hours, so I had assumed everything was over.

I am feeling super guilty. But I feel like this was a still born, Mama didn't clean it very well, and with such a time difference between all the other kittens and this one.. Ugh idk. My heart just breaks.

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
God bless — it was likely stillborn if mom cleaning it did not get it breathing. It may have been in the birth canal too long, or may have had genetic defects. You could have been there and it still may not have lived. Bury it, try not to feel guilty, and enjoy the kittens you have. These things happen and it’s sad, but it is the way of Mother Nature.

StefanZ

Advisor
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
💔 I came back just after being out of the house and there was an additional kitten, he's super cold and not breathing. This was at 3pm.. When her last one was within the 7am hour.. So an 8hour difference.
I wasn't expecting any others, but I do have a camera on her, with motion alerts, this is how I know what time she had it, and how long it had laid there.
As I said, she wasn't seemingly in labor for multiple hours, so I had assumed everything was over.

I am feeling super guilty. But I feel like this was a still born, Mama didn't clean it very well, and with such a time difference between all the other kittens and this one.. Ugh idk. My heart just breaks.
Ouch... So momma did try to wash it... And thus tried to revive....
Usually if you are present, the standard is to do likewise; warm it up, massage it... Occasionally they come back to life...

But now its as it is. Things happens, kitten could be weaker than the others by a big number of reasons, and it is stillborn.

Let momma notice its dead, and after it, yes do bury it... No cross, as crosses are for humans... But you can say a few words if you wish,

And take care about the living.