Pregnant Semi-feral Was Spayed

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
No more hairballs or throwing up since yesterday.:yess::woohoo:
My boyfriend kept insisting we call her Peanut so I gave in so that's what her name is.
Also I have a small toy mouse in the room with her and it looks like she was playing with it while I was asleep last night.
I'm going to try to take a few pics of her in a little while and post them:lovecat:

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
Awww... Peanut is precious. :heartshape: Are you and your boyfriend planning on keeping her?:catlove:
I would love to keep her. Im just not sure what would be best for her and the other cats. She has 2 sisters plus a brother at the gas & liquor store where I feed them & It seemed like she was the leader of the family/group of cats.

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
I wasnt sure about starting a whole new thread in the health section so I'm just posting here.
Does the incision from her spay look okay? She had the surgery last Thursday so it's been 5 days. 20180306_234758.jpg

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I would love to keep her. Im just not sure what would be best for her and the other cats. She has 2 sisters plus a brother at the gas & liquor store where I feed them & It seemed like she was the leader of the family/group of cats.
I have no personal experience with ferals, so I'm replying with my heart, not logic, but now that's she's spayed it would be so wonderful if she could have a home where she was loved. But I also understand about taking her away from her family group. :sigh:

How social is she? Is she settling into your home? Or going stir crazy?

About her spay incision, I don't know it that's normal or not. (my Ruby was spayed before I adopted her). Until another member posts, here's a Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery which may be helpful.

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
The incision shouldn't be open like that. Could you email the photo to the vet who spayed her and ask whether you should bring her in?
Ok I was thinking exactly that so thank you for your reply.
A rescue covered the cost of her spay and I'm pretty sure the vet they chose to do the surgery doesn't have a email I could email. I'm going to message the rescue right now and see what they say.

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
I have no personal experience with ferals, so I'm replying with my heart, not logic, but now that's she's spayed it would be so wonderful if she could have a home where she was loved. But I also understand about taking her away from her family group. :sigh:

How social is she? Is she settling into your home? Or going stir crazy?

About her spay incision, I don't know it that's normal or not. (my Ruby was spayed before I adopted her). Until another member posts, here's a Spaying And Neutering - What To Look For After Surgery which may be helpful.
Her brother and sisters are the first actual group of ferals I've cared for. I say group because I'm not sure 4 is enough to be considered a colony. I wish I could just take in all 4 of them or at least live closer:catlove:. Being an hour away makes everything so much more difficult. I'm not sure what to do:dunno:

Sarthur2

Cat lady extraordinaire
Staff Member
Advisor
Purraise
Yikes! Please contact the rescue immediately about that open spay incision. It should NOT be open. It probably needs closing again, and she may need an antibiotic to prevent infection.

Please email that picture to the rescue ASAP, and let us know what they say!

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
This is her sister. I will be trying to trap her tonight so she can be fixed in the morning. She comes right up to me so as long as she is there it will be easy.
20180207_203940-1.jpg

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yikes! Please contact the rescue immediately about that open spay incision. It should NOT be open. It probably needs closing again, and she may need an antibiotic to prevent infection.

Please email that picture to the rescue ASAP, and let us know what they say!
I sent a message and they just responded. They are on the way to drop off a cat at the vets and will show him the picture and then message me back with what he says.

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
I apologize the delayed update. I dropped & broke my phone about an hour after I got home from the vet.
Her insicion looks better. But it's not completely healed yet. I might take her to another vet since my boyfriend gets paid today and also depending on how it looks in the morning. The rescue that got her spayed is amazing and I'm so thankful for helping me get her spayed but I really dislike the vet they used. I took my pets there starting in 2008 until 2011. I've had my 2 male cats neutered plus vaccinations done there and took my female dog for vaccinations there also. It was never a horrible experience. The place is just not clean. Plus it seems like the vet cuts corners and isn't very careful.
But anyways here is a picture of Peanut in the carrier after we got home.
20180308_114048_Richtone(HDR).jpg

danni88

Forever Little's Mama
Adult Cat
Purraise
When I got to the vet he walked out to the waiting area took the carrier with her in it and said to pick her up in an hour. I guess he seen the picture of what the incision looked like and didn't find it necessary to examine her. I'm not sure if he did anything at all honestly. She was in a carrier not a trap so I don't know how he could have got her out and back in without any problems.
The receptionist is only there in the mornings so when I returned after the hour he just handed me the carrier and asked if I was paying or the rescue was. I said the rescue. Then asked if she needed anything like antibiotics. He said no and that she will be fine.

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Huh, that's weird that he didn't even mention it. How does it look, did it close back up?