Pregnant Semi Feral Cat

Molly26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We trapped the pregnant cat in thursday and she has been with us for about 3 days. I really want to do my best to socialize her to give her a better chance at being adopted or possibly being able to keep her. I havent tried to touch her or anything like that and have been sitting by her crate for most of the day talking ans trying to get her used to me. Her crate is very large but with having a litterbox and smaller crate in side of it doesnt give her much room to move around in. She is very lazy and sleepy since she is pregnant. She hasnt hissed at me or done anything agressive but stares at me frightened if i move loudly and such. But I dont like the set up I have now becuase everytime I have to re fill her food or clean the litterbox it makes a lot of noise and Im scared Im stressing her out to much. If anyone had any ideas let me know!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Molly26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
This is what the set up looks like right now! I have a play pen metal movable thing I might use.
image.jpg

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
You are very kind to help this cat. I have used set ups very much like this and you have done a good job arranging it so that the litter is not being kicked onto the food, etc. All I can suggest with the current set up is that you use a smaller crate, or crate type house including a cardboard box, and use a smaller litter box. But I am not saying that you need to go out and spend money on this.

A playpen is a good alternative but I am not clear on how friendly or socialized she is. Will she jump out of a playpen or does she need to be confined someplace with a closed door like the crate? No hissing and no aggression are both good signs that she can be socialized. For right now, I don't think that this is a bad set up for her and the kittens.

Molly26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I got worried and changed the set up a bit. She has been much more active since, but now has a hobby of meowing and almost climbed up a wall trying to get to like a shelf thing trying to escape I'm guessing. Its hard to build trust with her because every time I change the set up it freaks her out so I'm going to try and keep it the same from now on. Thank you for your advice!!

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
Keep things consistent as she has been with you for less than a week and still needs to figure things out in her own mind. Any idea when the kittens are due?

Molly26

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
No Idea. Shes pretty big but Its hard to tell since Ive never done this before.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
I have always been after the fact with kittens, meaning I came upon a litter or an abandoned baby but am not well versed in pregnancy. There is a forum specifically for that if you need help.....of course it does not change anything.