Pregnant Sadie - Foster Cat

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here to the forum, so first off - hello!
I've been fostering cats and kittens for a local non profit shelter for the past 6 months and this is my first time having a pregnant foster in my home.
I picked up Sadie a week ago and she was heavily pregnant then and is heavily pregnant still! She is a small 3 year old tortoiseshell cat with bright green eyes. Very pretty. We are unsure of how far along she is so I was thinking it would be fun to have a "wait and watch" (or rather "wait and read" in this case :D) thread where you can follow along with the remainder of her pregnancy and birth.
I hope this thread can eventually help others looking for what to expect as I will document everything that happens here.

**NOTE: Sadie will be spayed through the local shelter once her kittens are older.**

Sadie's current condition:
She is extremely affectionate and always wants me around. She is very very round and I noticed last week the kittens kicking around. She sleeps a lot and eats a lot. I've heard almost like gas bubbles or tummy rumbles coming from her the past two days, sometimes its really loud! She seems uncomfortable and is constantly moving from one place to the next to sleep.
Other than brushing, petting and being with her I haven't done to much since she doesn't know me that well (however she did seem to love me from the start lol). She doesn't want her bum touched, which is fine. She has longer hair at the back so I'm not able to see anything in that area. I've been thinking it'll be any day now but so far nothing!

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
What a lovely thing to do fostering cats in - all the best with Sadie - I will be following your story.
I'm also newish to this forum and watching for the first time a heavily pregnant cat called Biscuit (I started another thread for a few days ago). She came into my care about midway through her pregnancy, but I'm pretty sure she is day 59 - so not long now.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'll go take a look at your thread!

Sadie is currently in her nesting area I set up for her. Just sleeping at the moment but she's never in there during the day. I'm sure its not any sort of a real sign as I know she sleeps there at night time but wishful thinking!

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Just popped over here from your introductory thread. Looking forward to following Sadie's progress as she (and you) prepare for her babies.

Here are links to a couple articles that may be helpful. There are also advisors who watch this forum and who will be ready to jump in and answer any questions you might have. Good luck. :catlove:
Pregnant Cat? What To Prepare For The Birth
Pregnancy And Delivery In Cats

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Sadie just now. Chilling on the floor. She is making a lot of grunting noises when she's walking around or jumping on furniture. I remember those same noises when I was 9 months pregnant :lol:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Sadie's a very pretty expectant mama. Do you know how much longer she has to go? She doesn't look as big in her picture, as some cats have just before giving birth, so I think she might have a bit more time to go.

LOL at the grunting noises. :biggrin:

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Unfortunately I have no idea how much longer she has.
When I picked her up they said “any day now” but it’ll be a week tomorrow since I’ve had her, the shelter also doesn’t know how much longer she has since they don’t know when she mated.
She is a petite cat but definitly round. I think her dark colouring plays down how round she is lol. She looks slimmer in pictures.

I’ll try and get a better picture of her today in the sunlight!

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Apple54321 Apple54321 Thanks! She is beautiful!

I'm not seeing any signs of labour at all. She's eating lots and sleeping lots today. She's very vocal when she hears me talking. She likes to interrupt all my conversations. I believe she is yelling at me...

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This is Sadie today. I cannot get a picture that really depicts how round she is :(
I believe she is close but maybe not as close as everyone thought.

I do have a question about kitten movement. Should there be lots of movement? I've seen some wobbles in her belly but do kittens move around a lot inside?

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also wanted to say that, no that isn't her food she is standing beside. She is currently on a kitten food. :)

ashade1

Wild and Wonderful Animal Rescue Director
Top Cat
Purraise
You usually see a good bit of movement for 2-3 weeks before delivery. Right before, you feel less as there is less room in there and they move to the birthing canal. She is gorgeous!

SAKitty

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I was just petting Sadie and noticed as I was petting her that her lady parts appeared "open" a little wet on her fur.
Other than that everything is totally normal. She's currently eating again.

Is this a sign? Im not sure!

Apple54321

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Beautiful - she looks not dissimilar in size to Biscuit, maybe a little bigger, when she lays lays like that.
Sounds like she is close - I feel with Biscuit there is going to be quite a bit of waiting !